and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

RARE Kellogg Desk Set on eBay 280447124296

Started by Doug Rose, January 05, 2010, 10:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

One of the first desk sets. This is a great phone....Doug

http://tinyurl.com/y8uq7d5

(I posted the photo from the eBay listing)
~Dennis
Kidphone

ntophones

That is a great looking phone. HOpe someone will restore it to its' beauty!
--nto

Doug Rose

Well guys and gals, I couldn't bear to see this go so cheap; so against my better judgement, I went for it. I know, its a huge gamble. I am hoping against hope that the "rust" is not as bad as it looks. It also has  the same "rust" on the bakelite handset, so I am pessimistically optimistic. Dennis, I might be looking your way, if I cannot be as lucky as I was my 205. Your refurb work is top notch. I'll let you all know my progress.  My wife is ready to kill me, no really, she is....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

It's a great looking phone Doug.  I'm sure you'll make it look great.  If not, I'll give you 10c on the dollar for it.  :)

Thanks for the compliment by the way.  I see my subliminal messages in my posts have been working.

ntophones

Oh, please show pictures as you are doing the refurb!
--nto

Greg G.

I was watching that one just out of curiosity.  It was beyond my skill level for refurbishing, glad to see it went to a good home.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

I got my Kellogg 925 today. I got home from work at 4PM and I have worked on it all night. I have stripped off all the paint and polished up the metal. It is a working phone. I am in need of a replacement Masterphone dial card if anyone has one available (like the original in pic 4). I'm debating on keeping it as is or having in professionally painted. The paint that was on it was a royal pain to remove and my hands are killing me. I went through 6 pairs of gloves. My gamble paid off. This is one of the first desk sets...Doug
Kidphone

bingster

= DARRIN =

McHeath

Wow!  You sure transformed that beater phone!  As it was it looked like it was ready to be placed in the window of a low rent antique store where it would sit for about 12 years before getting tossed.  Not sure I even want to know how you got that paint off, because if you tell me I will end up being tempted to try it myself.

Doug Rose

McHeath...paint stripper....steel wool...paint stripper....light sand fine sand paper.....more f%&* stripper,,,,wire brush on a drill...wet sand......fine steel wool....brasso....loss of skin and hands feel like I stripped off two layers of skin. All in all, I wouldn't change a thing. I actually love doing this. To resurrect a classic from the dead is what its all about. What a great hobby!

Bingster...I found I had a NOS set in my parts. I also found the correct handset cord, looking at it this morning, the cord was a Western. When I finish it today, once I get my hands to work!... I will post more pics.....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Here is the final edition of my Kellogg 925 refurb. I am extremely happy with the way it came out.....BUT I am still considering a repaint (are you listening Dennis). What does the group think, leave it as is or repaint?.....Doug

Kellogg Mike....any insight and history to the 925 is appreciated....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, your phone turned out very nice.  It's amazing how different it looks now.  Finding that NOS card for the center in your stash was an added bonus.  I have some of those NOS cards, but I don't know if they read Masterphone on them.  I was going to pull them out to see if I had one for you.  I'm not sure which phones had that type of card. 

I have never done painting if you were hinting about painting the set.  There are a couple of people on the Forum that have done some painting I believe.

What a great phone.  The handset cord looks very nice too.  Is that an original W.E. cord?  With regards to your sore hands......it sounds like the pleasure was worth all the pain.  Nice job!

Doug Rose

Dennis...thanks for the kind words on the phone. When parting out a phone that I cannot save, I "TRY" to separate the parts by companies. This was in my Kellogg box. Did it come of a Kellogg phone originally, was it put in the box by mistake, your guess is as good as mine. its been there for a while. The gray cloth match the phone well, so it was the winner. Paint it or leave it as is. Let me know forum....Doug
Kidphone

McHeath

Ah the old wear your hands off method!  My fingers hurt for days after I did a massive sanding job on a 1500 once, and I have to confess that it was enjoyable to me just as you had a fine time saving your Kellogg.

Personally I'd have it painted by a pro using Polane, if I had the cash on hand.  If not then I'd give it a whirl myself as I like the all black look of these early phones.  It's been tempting to set up a spray booth for painting, I have the air compressor and room to rig up a booth, and used to do some painting back when I worked for John Deere in the 80s'. 

That's a nice cord as well, suits that phone well.

bingster

I think I know what kind of cord that is, and it makes a perfect handset cord.  Very clever and cool.
= DARRIN =