News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Design Line "Telstar" 2911A1

Started by the phone house, March 22, 2013, 04:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the phone house

My newest find.  2911A1 Design Line "Telstar" for $15.00  Bad cord but I understand this is a normal problem with these. Does this qualify for find of the month??
Steve @ The Phone House

Russ Kirk

That phone is on my wish list.  It is really hard to find the smoked/clear plastics in unblemished condition.

Cool phone!
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WesternElectricBen

That is a awesome find, I have always been stupid and pass them off. I'm not sure if you can replace those cords, I hope their are some still around as they are NOT common like modular cords.

Ben

the phone house

This one has been in the basement of a local Antique Store, I had passed it by for several months. I found a u tube video on repairing the cord. Wil try later.
Steve @ The Phone House

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: the phone house on March 22, 2013, 06:33:13 PM
This one has been in the basement of a local Antique Store, I had passed it by for several months. I found a u tube video on repairing the cord. Wil try later.

Would you please link the video?

Ben

paul-f

Quote from: poplar1 on March 22, 2013, 07:15:42 PM
Not sure if this takes a 3B cord reel. If so, there are usually 3Bs on Ebay. The 2B is probably too large.

From the BSP above, the cord reel is a 5C
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Yes, you are telling the truth.....that is a BAD cord!

I have one but the clear plexi lid has sides that are slightly warped outwards so it doesn't want to rotate on the pins properly. Maybe some heat and I can warp them back in! It has heat shrink on the handset cord at the handset as well.

Terry

the phone house

Steve @ The Phone House

twocvbloke

poplar1

It takes a 5C cord reel--see Table A. I wonder if you can replace just the cord and use the same reel?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

If you find a cord with the special modular plug/strain relief used in the Design Line sets, it will probably already have a proper reel on it.

poplar1

Almost every one of these I have seen has damage near the modular plug.

Back when you could buy only the shell, the 5A cord reel was part of the housing purchase, but the cord was not. The H4DY cord was part of the telephone company owned parts. When the customer no longer wanted to pay rent on the parts, the installer/repairman was instructed to cut the cord.

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/736-503-200-101-910a-2910a-stowaway-sets  (Figure 6 and paragraph 4.1)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

The H4DY is also shown in the following:

501-144-100, issue 7, Sept 78
501-140-102, issue 12, Nov 82

Today, it's rare to find one on a cord reel with the plug intact, and I don't remember seeing a H4DY cord for sale by itself in the last 15 years or so.

I have bought several damaged Stowaways (mangled wood cases) to get the cords (on reels) and have replaced the modular plugs on some damaged cords as a last resort.  It is a lot of work.

paul-f

The Youtube video doesn't show much about the actual cord repair.

Here are some photos from a repair I did in 2003.  My, how time flies.

Stripping, separating and getting the conductors in the proper holes in the plug require an unusual amount of manual dexterity.

Since the original strain relief plugs are usually not available, the repair includes a standard modular plug.

If the original boot is damaged beyond repair, I have used shrink tubing.  It's obviously not as good as the original, but sufficient for display and occasional use.

paul-f

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 22, 2013, 11:11:17 PM

I have one but the clear plexi lid has sides that are slightly warped outwards so it doesn't want to rotate on the pins properly. Maybe some heat and I can warp them back in!

Terry,

Since you have space to fill, try gluing a small thin disk of clear plastic on the inside of one end (or both) over the current depression, and use a rotary tool to carve a new depression for the pivot point.

Heating and reforming sounds simple in theory, but is probably risky in practice.