News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with WE 554 Push To Listen

Started by Doug Rose, August 28, 2018, 11:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I think its a push to listen might be a push to talk Someone ruined a 6 58 soft plastic, put this handset and a new shell. The red and black for the handset were taped off. WHY? I cannot get DT, but it does ring. I put the red on the black on the l1 and l2 and it works fine.

Really nice handset cord!

Is this an easy fix?...many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Try disconnecting one of the white wires from the dial from the network to hear if there is sound.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry....no luck. Phone rings like a subset as if it does not see the handset connected. There are elements in the handset and it tested fine with red and black to L1 and L2....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Hi Doug  .... I'm trying to see terminal "F" on the network, and I think I see only one wire from the dial on that terminal.    One of the pulse springs (the passive one) should be on "F", along with one "S-W" (slate - white ?) wire from the hook switch.     It may be there and I can't see it.   

Jeff Lamb

jsowers

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on August 28, 2018, 01:25:38 PM
Hi Doug  .... I'm trying to see terminal "F" on the network, and I think I see only one wire from the dial on that terminal.    One of the pulse springs (the passive one) should be on "F", along with one "S-W" (slate - white ?) wire from the hook switch.     It may be there and I can't see it.   

Jeff Lamb

There's a white wire on G that may be the switchhook wire Jeff says should be on "F". Normally there isn't a white wire under a screw on G. Try moving that wire from G to F and see what happens.

What are those two loose red and black wires at the ringer? I can't see where they originate.
Jonathan

Doug Rose

The loose red and black are from the handset and were taped together and not connected. When I put them on l1 and l2 I get dial tone. Where would they connect? I can't see how this phone ever worked....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Doug   ....  Normally on "F & G" series handsets, black and red are the transmitter leads.   On the "500" series sets, black goes "B" on the network, and "red" to "R" on the network along with one white wire from the receiver.    But I'm assuming because you haven't commented on the issue I mentioned with the "F" terminal and the one lead from the hook switch, you have confirmed it's there, and just hard to see, because if it isn't, you can't hear anything in the receiver.    If I took the handset off hook and dialed the number that the set was connected to, the first time it rang the phone, even though the handset was off hook, and the next time I got a busy signal.   It might be difficult to straighten out a handset issue if that one hook switch wire isn't connected to terminal "F" on the network.

Jeff

Doug Rose

Jeff....I have not gone back again. I will tackle it tomorrow. I do appreciate you and Jonathan giving me a hand. I just thought it was strange red and black from the handset taped off

I will let you know tomorrow. In the nineties. Having a brew OR two on the porch....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Man after my own thoughts.     I'm doing exactly the same thing, not as hot at 84, but it's over 70% humidity.    Feels like a sauna.

Jeff

Doug Rose

We have success! Moved the white wire to F AND wired the Handset B to B on Network and Handset R to R on Netowrk.

Calls out.... rings on incoming and push to MUTE works as well.

I don't know how this ever worked with the Handset Red and Black taped together with masking tape, old masking tape. I have seen this before on not needed wires.

Two small holes on top of phone so the ringer might not have been working and a Light flashed on top of phone. Ringer wires were also no connected....just a guess

Jeff and Jonathan....combined effort...many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ktownphoneco

jsowers

You're welcome, Doug. Now that I see the entire phone, it looks like something out of a warehouse or manufacturing facility. The holes on top could have indeed been for a light or a switch to turn the ringer off and on. It looks like someone did a lot of customization. At least you have a working phone now.
Jonathan

Doug Rose

Thanks guys! This is what makes the Forum Great! Everyone is always ready to lend a hand...whether you are a newbie or an old timer  8).....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

Red phones just look so good...that's a sharp looking 554 & a bit unique as well...

Nice piece, Doug!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service