News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to build a WE500-based bellset?

Started by twocvbloke, February 02, 2012, 02:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Well, I finally did it, I went to Maplin in Newcastle, bought a plastic enclosure case thing, forgot to get stick-on rubber feet though, and as luck would have it, they had almost exactly the capacitor I needed, 275vAC 0.47uF (Maplin code no. N72CN, turns out to be metallised paper, and discontinued at Maplin, but it's working and I'm not over-driving it), rings the bells perfectly, and I'm happy... ;D

Just need to drill out some sound holes and stick on some of them sticky rubber feet and it'll be perfect... :D

And some pics (with a slight comparison to the BT50E bellset fitted with a proper GPO coil and bells cos the cheap chinese-made parts were rubbish):

twocvbloke

Sound holes drilled, I followed & expanded on the pattern off the base of a 500 phone, didn't sound too loud, so hen added more on the side, and now sounds brilliantly loud, so it's 99% done, just waiting for the feet to arrive and I'll be (bell)set... :D

Pics... ;D

southernphoneman

twocvbloke,i don t know if you are aware(i am sure that you are) but there is a diagram in this forum where you can use a model 500/554 and convert it over to a 685 subset.i did this  for my 202 and even used this forum before i was a member.basically you take the 500/554 and diconnect the hookswitch wire and/or remove them because they need to be disabled. you also disconnect the dial assembly.then you have your network and your ringer assembly left, however see the photo below.if you haven t figured it out already maybe this will help.

twocvbloke

Yeah, I know about that, but currently don't have anything that requires a Subset 685 at the moment, or a GPO equivalent (Bellset 50B or 50D), but the project box I used for my ringer will accommodate a 425-type network if I do decide to construct one... :)

southernphoneman

dsk

:) You have done a nice job there.

dsk

twocvbloke

Thanks, I replaced the GPO terminal block with one of them red 6-way ones I got a while back to neaten it up a bit, and of course it got rubber feet eventually... :D

Only thing is, I decided not to use it as intended as a ringer on the phoneline so I could hear it ring, but as we've been getting so many nuisance calls lately that it'd drive me up the wall... ::)