News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Designer of the AE 40

Started by HobieSport, April 29, 2009, 09:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Just a little tidbit for us fans of the venerable AE 40.  Here's the original patent by the designer, Herbert F. Obergfell of Chicago, November 28th, 1939.  I know how I do go on about Henry Dreyfuss, but let us not forget the great Mr. Herbert F. Obergfell.  Er...whoever he was... ;)

Steve

MMMMM

Thats one sexsay design. :)
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Steve

Matt,

since you collect the AE 40's I have to ask you. how would You compare the 34's and 40's?
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

HobieSport

Hi Steve,

Actually I've never even seen an AE 34 in person, but there must be others here who can answer that.  All I (think I) know is that the 34s were first made in 1934 and were a "blockier" design and with a spit-cup and interstingly curved handset.  I may collect them, but I have oh so much to learn... :) :P

Steve

That first photo You posted makes me weak in the knees :)

I have been looking (incognito,of course) at some AE 50's and 34's.
I really like the looks of the earlier handsets. I love the swooping design at the back of the 40's though. was there a period that they made the 40 series with the earlier handset?   
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

AET

In these years AE was really giving WE a run for the money, but WE wins over all for the beautiful design of the 500.
- Tom

BDM

Yup, the 34 is a beauty! Like the W.E. sets, there early handset was sometimes replaced by the later used on the 40. One thing to remember, W.E. wouldn't use Bakelite for telephone main shells. They considered it to brittle when used in the thin shape of a phone body. In many ways, they're right. I know they made that early wall set in Bakelite, but those are fewer than the A1 desk sets.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Stephen Furley

Quote from: BDM on April 29, 2009, 11:49:29 PM
Yup, the 34 is a beauty! Like the W.E. sets, there early handset was sometimes replaced by the later used on the 40. One thing to remember, W.E. wouldn't use Bakelite for telephone main shells. They considered it to brittle when used in the thin shape of a phone body. In many ways, they're right. I know they made that early wall set in Bakelite, but those are fewer than the A1 desk sets.

For many years almost all of our telephones were Bakelite; from the demise of the Candlestick to the introduction of the 706.  I'm not saying that telephones never got broken, of course it did happen, but not that often.  I think it stood up reasonably well.

HobieSport

Quote from: AtomicEraTom...but WE wins over all for the beautiful design of the 500.

True, Tom, and I love the 500 as much as the next person, but they are of course from a more recent era, call it post war modern or whatever.  Whereas the WE 302, AE 40 and similar are of course prewar designs.  As far as function and pure beauty, I'd take a 500, but they don't feel as charming to me because, well, like most folks here, I grew up with them.  So they're "just a regular phone".

For prewar designs, I find the 302s my favorite for their classy simple lines.  More elegant in their simplicity than the AE40s.  What I love about the AE40s though is their clunky-ness, and almost a grand pretentiousness.  Henry Dreyfuss could never have designed something like that, in his conservative and simplifying design methods.

In a word, I just find the AE40s are...Fun. :)

(Plus they're build like a brick outhouse.)

bingster

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on April 29, 2009, 11:41:01 PM
In these years AE was really giving WE a run for the money...
This is a common misconception.  Their regions and purposes were very clearly defined, so there was really no competition between Western and the independent manufacturers.  Competition among the independents is another matter entirely.
= DARRIN =

BDM

Stephen, that's true to a degree. But W.E. metal body phones had an almost perfect track record for survivability. While they ran the company in a very frugal manner, they pulled the stops out for design. They had a philosophy that the longer a particular instrument remained in service, the less cost over all. Hardly any replacement of an entire instrument due to damage.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

Quote from: BDM
W.E. metal body phones had an almost perfect track record for survivability. While they ran the company in a very frugal manner, they pulled the stops out for design. They had a philosophy that the longer a particular instrument remained in service, the less cost over all. Hardly any replacement of an entire instrument due to damage.

I love my metal 302s.  A Dreyfuss design that will last forever.  Just don't drop one on your toe. ;)

BDM

Not to get off the subject post, but someone somewhere recently posted field reports from telephone installers/repairmen. One was from the 20s at a bar. Installer reported they replaced the desk stand (candlestick) due to damage. The "stick" was used as a weapon in a bar fight....lol
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

It's true, phones and phone cords have been used as some pretty nasty weapons, both in real life and in the movies.  I sure wouldn't want to be bonked with a candlestick or an AE 40.  It might damage the phone. ;)

Back to Steve's question; does anyone have an AE 40 and an AE 34 to compare?  We can see the differences in the shapes of the cases and the handsets.  I'm wondering if the working parts inside are much different.

Dennis Markham

The A.E. 34 has always eluded me.  I have been wanting to get one for a while but unfortunately still don't own one.