News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Things I Learned the Hard Way

Started by James, January 09, 2013, 10:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

This applies to both the Northern Electric and Western Electric payphones.

dennisjnunes

Thanks I will read anything someone has learned the hard way. Dennis

Greg G.

CLR will also remove vintage paint on a phone, not just rust:  

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Scotophor

Not me personally, but someone who posted on another forum I have read learned the hard way that solvent products "Goo Gone" and "Goof Off" are nowhere near interchangeable despite their seemingly-similar names.

Goo Gone is sold as a safe remover for adhesive residue, crayon, grease pencil, chewing gum, etc. It is citrus-based and very safe to use as well as harmless to most plastics and even on cardboard items it generally at worst leaves only a very light yellowish stain. For some uses it works very slowly, so patience and working gently are key. When you're done, it appears at first to leave a slightly oily residue which is hard to wipe off, but in fact it will evaporate on its own if you just wipe it once and leave it alone for a while.

Goof Off on the other hand is pure or almost pure Xylene (a.k.a. Xylol), which is a moderately strong but slow-evaporating solvent. It is sold as good for removing paint drips, overspray, and other such "goofs", referring to fresh paint applied on top of old paint. It will dissolve or ruin the finish of many plastics. Compared to generic Xylene, it comes in a smaller container, costs about 5 times as much per unit volume, and works pretty much exactly the same. So if you have such a need, don't bother with the name brand. And never, EVER use Goof Off or Xylene where someone recommends trying Goo Gone!
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

Kenton K

Also to add on the list.

NEVER disassemble a ringer. Except for gongs. This will permanently destroy much of the magnetism which make it ring.

Destroyed three ringers this way...(RIP)

KK

DavePEI

My Thing I have learned the hard way, is when using a buffer, HOLD ONTO THE PHONE WITH IRON GRIPS! Twice I have had a phone case catch on the buffing wheel and had the buffer throw the case to the floor with disastrous results.

Hold on for your life. Moreover, buff gently. Applying pressure can result in burning of the plastic, easy does it!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Matilo Telephones

- put your Dremel on the lowest setting when polishing bakelite. Really!
- when building a new workbench, put a lamp under the desk too! You will drop many hard to see small parts.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

WesternElectricBen

- when building a new workbench, put a lamp under the desk too! You will drop many hard to see small parts.
[/quote]

lol... Good one.. Or a little push light.

Ben

Scotophor

Quote from: DavePEI on April 06, 2014, 03:37:11 PMHold on for your life. Moreover, buff gently. Applying pressure can result in burning of the plastic, easy does it!
The best way to prevent such "grabbing" when using any kind of rotary buffer (whether a benchtop unit, electric drill pad, or even a Dremel-style rotary hand tool), is to hold the workpiece so that the wheel spins across the surface and TOWARD any opening or sharp edge on which the buffing wheel might otherwise get caught. Doing this will also reduce the tendency to over-work those sharp edges, which could leave them much too rounded.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6