News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Manual Phone use Idea

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 19, 2016, 10:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Has anyone ever thought about creating a voice command feature wired to your phone system that connects you to a computerized operator whenever you lift the receiver (like voice command on a smartphone), where you can enter the number you want.

It would be an interesting alternative, even for non-collectors that have a wood wall phone that they want to use, and it would save many phones from b in converted to dial! :o

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

The idea is not exactly new.   Many VoIP/Asterisk/Freeswitch enthusiasts do this quite routinely.

Many ATAs also have an automatic dialing feature that is activated by taking the line off-hook.

Finally, the following devices were used quite extensively at one time when DTMF technology rendered many rotary phones impotent for modern communication, such as when accessing cheaper US long-distance services from overseas locations without TT.

Nick in Manitou

I like the idea of picking up a manual phone and having a voice at the other end saying, "Operator. Number Please".  One could then speak the number desired and the system would dial it.

The operator wouldn't be able to discuss local gossip with you as she might have in the old days, but it would be a fun application.

Nick

andre_janew

I've seen a few rotary dial phones with something called a soft touch dial that goes in place of the transmitter.  It is a touch tone dial.  I've thought this might be a discreet way to add a dial to a manual phone.  However, I have only seen them on WE 500 phones, but I think they would work on any phone with a G type handset.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: andre_janew on January 19, 2016, 08:03:18 PM
I've seen a few rotary dial phones with something called a soft touch dial that goes in place of the transmitter.  It is a touch tone dial.  I've thought this might be a discreet way to add a dial to a manual phone.  However, I have only seen them on WE 500 phones, but I think they would work on any phone with a G type handset.

The were made for G handsets. The "problem" with them is/was "Spittle". You put fresh germs on the touchpad whenever you use the handset. I think this was the main reason they never caught on.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Buzby

I've been using a free DTMF generator app on my mobile. Works great!

To your original post of "Operator, number please", I'd be curious as to that replacing the tone on a PBX, or whatever sound you'd like to hear when you pick up the receiver.

WEBellSystemChristian

I'm surprised no phone collectors have come up with something like this for retail, like the Pulse-to-Tone converters we see so often at OPW and from RotaTone.

It would be cool to be able to customize the command voice; give house guests a heart attack when they jokingly pick up the receiver on 'that old candlestick phone' in the living room, and hear a cranky operator's voice on the other end!! :o

At least something like this directed at the consumer market would keep a few more manual phones closer to factory condition, and also expand the possibilities of what phones you can really use as a 'daily driver!'
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

dsk

I have been looking for this for years. It was made a box to put on the line doing this by some Israeli company, but it was rather expensive $200?? and did only recognize the order programmed and the voice of the same person.

This option is working in to a limited degree in cellphone apps' today, but for POTS ???

My order to the maker would be a dialogue where the dial tone should be Numbere please ----  Recognizing Numbers read digit by digit, and just replies with sending the DTMF.   Then the number of digits will not be an issue. After a time it stops listening so not get any DTMF sounds during the call. Of-course it would be perfect if I could have this in Norwegian too, but English would be fine. 

Maybe this could be done with a Raspberry Pi and an extra card??

dsk

TelePlay

Quote from: dsk on January 20, 2016, 03:40:46 AM
My order to the maker would be a dialogue where the dial tone should be Numbere please ----  Recognizing Numbers read digit by digit, and just replies with sending the DTMF.   Then the number of digits will not be an issue. After a time it stops listening so not get any DTMF sounds during the call.

I run into this type of software when calling my credit card company and a few other businesses. The answering attendant asks for my card number and then, as desired in the above quote, would repeat the number back before to me asking me to verify it was heard correctly and upon saying "yes," my call is directed to a live phone, by way of a DTMF signal I would assume.

In this application, repeating the number before dialing would give the caller the ability to verify the correct number as spoken was heard and upon saying something like "yes," the software would send the DTMF tones. That would prevent mis-dialed calls.

I'm sure the voice recognition systems used by these companies costs a bundle but it works for any voice is always gets my raspy spoken numbers correct, even when calling in a noisy environment.

It's a great idea that, if ever built, would not be cheap.

Babybearjs

I think you are talking about the VOIP phones.... a computer runs them....
John

andre_janew

A manual phone can be used with MagicJack.  To dial out, simply use the keypad on the computer screen.  I think I talked about this in another thread on this forum.  I may have mentioned that it does have enough power to ring a WE 302.  Now where was that thread located . . ?