"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Checking in, and looking for a part

Started by 11furby11, July 13, 2014, 11:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11furby11

Hello Everyone
I hope all of you are well.  I haven't been on the site since I last posted the "White Magic" peroxcide hair solution formula which restored my turquoise phone back to it's original colour. Did anyone ever try it? My turquoise phone still looks pretty good.  :)  Also, I was curious, did you ever find a formula in the U.S. which worked like the "White Magic?" (in the case that anyone did try it).

Ken...the "Lucy" phone is still working great!!  Thanks again for fixing that dial for me. The phone always puts a smile on my face, and it is used at least twice a week. :)

I am writing as well, as I was hoping for some advice. My speaker in my orange Stromborg Carlson telephone receiver is not performing properly.  When I talk with people on this phone, they tell me that they can hardly hear me. If I require a new speaker, and someone has one to spare, I can pay you via paypal. I live in Victoria, British Columbia, so I realize shipping to Canada will be a bit higher regardless if it comes from the U.S. or Canada.  Also, is there a chance it could be another problem...like wiring?  Could I use the speaker from another rotary telephone to test this out...or are all speakers different for each brand?

Thank you so much again, and take good care.
Cheers,
Sherry

TelePlay

By speaker, I am going to assume you mean the transmitter element in the handset?

If that is true, you can unscrew the handset cap, remove the element and tap it on something hard to break up the carbon granules inside the element that may have become "clumped" together. Put the element back in the handset and make a call to someone who said they can not hear you well to see if that made a difference. If that quick fix does not work, let us know and some other member may be able to help.

A picture of the element, both sides of it, would help identity what you have in your phone. A picture of the phone would also help.

Greg G.

Quote from: 11furby11 on July 13, 2014, 11:12:40 AM
Hello Everyone
I hope all of you are well.  I haven't been on the site since I last posted the "White Magic" peroxcide hair solution formula which restored my turquoise phone back to it's original colour. Did anyone ever try it? My turquoise phone still looks pretty good.  :)  Also, I was curious, did you ever find a formula in the U.S. which worked like the "White Magic?" (in the case that anyone did try it).
Cheers,
Sherry

I remember your turquoise phone and was impressed with the results, but I have not found a similar product in the US.  Fortunately, I was able to obtain some White Magic some time ago when my wife went to visit relatives in BC, but I have not tried it on a colored phone yet, although I did try it on the receiver cap of a white phone with good results.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

Welcome back. I have found a peroxide hair product here in the US. It is available at Sally Beauty Supply. It is called Salon Care and is available in several strengths. I use 20 or 40. I also found the creme type works better as it stays put to get uniform coverage.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

jfisher

Found this on Amazon, a review of Salon Care, I may have to try it.

If you have a video game console or computer that has suffered from yellowing due to the sun, this is exactly what you need to reverse the process.

Skill level required: Expert

Ability to disassemble electronics, do not attempt this if you do not have experience cleaning electronics or do not have room to leave screws and internal parts safe from electrostatic/harm. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DO THIS WITHOUT DISASSEMBLY!

Tools neeed: hardware to disassemble console, Salon Care creme, UV rays (Natural sun or black light setup), wax paper or a layer to place under the plastic, brush or cotton swab, plastic bag or plastic wrap.

NOTE: Use gloves and protective goggles if you can, do not touch the creme as it will burn your skin! Wear clothes you don't care to ruin.

1. Fully disassemble console/computer down to the yellowed plastics
2. Place the wax paper or the like under the plastic to prepare for the coating
3. Begin to coat the entire plastic, even if it's not yellowed in some parts.
4. Place plastic piece inside plastic bag or wrapped in plastic, seal tight.
5. Place outside in direct exposure to the sun or underneath a blacklight (not a bulb).
6. Check the progress every couple hours or so, make sure there it's not underneath shade
7. For best results, do this as early as you can and leave outside till sundown. You can also use a reflective sunvisor used in cars underneath the plastic to help the bottom and side pieces. This is highly recommended.
8. You do not have to worry about removing stickers or labels, those will rinse off and dry just fine as long as they do not have any wear.
9. If the product is very yellow, it may require an additional day. Take photographs to compare!
10. After you have reached the level desired, remove from plastic bag/wrap and soak it under hot water. You will notice the creme is slimy and may require scrubbing to remove. I use a toothbrush.
11. Allow the plastic to fully dry, inspect to see if it's the result you are looking for, reassemble and you're done!

If you are nervous about doing this to your Nintendo you've had as a kid, try a smaller acceossory or test plastic. Some will try using a controller or game shell. I alwasy suggest taking photographs of each step so that you can reference back if you need to.

NOTE: You cannot overdo the process, however try to avoid more than 2 days straight. You shouldn't need more than a day in most cases. You will be amazed at the results! I have done this with dozens of products and is safe.