News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Coast-to-coast" Mahogany Brown 500

Started by RotarDad, February 15, 2014, 11:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

This one was fun to put together.  Last year I happened to be the first one to see what looked initially like a black 500 on Ebay.   I took a closer look and thought "that looks like a real soft plastic M-brown".  The description said "brown", but other pics showed a 12-58 base, too late for brown.  I was also concerned about later or possibly painted plastics.  I debated for a minute or two, and then decided the 7-series dial bezel and fat handset cord were worth the $49.99 BIN.  The first pic below is an auction photo.   When it arrived, I was very happy to find a nice, complete set of '56 plastics (all late in the year except the shell is March).  The ringer, earpiece and mouthpiece were late 70's.  This phone came from Daly City, CA, just south of San Francisco on the west coast. A nice original 415 dial card too.

Then, some time later, I found a black refurbed 500 where the seller posted internal pics.  A nice complete 12-56 base with a 7C 54 (m-brown) coded dial - a perfect match.  See pic 2 from that auction.  This phone came from Palm City, on the east coast of Florida.

The last pic is the completed phone, with brown plastics on a base that left the factory in brown!  The phone is missing its line cord, and the removable part under the cradle has two 1/8" holes drilled (one had a tiny switch, not sure what the other was for), but it looks nice, and I'm very pleased to have been able to put this one back together like WE built it!
Paul

Contempra

Really nice telephone RotorDad... this color is not common on a desk phone...I have a 7C dial but mine has metal fingerwheel..

paul-f

Well done, Paul!

It's a beautiful phone.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Very nice, very beautiful.. I wish I had one.

Ben

JorgeAmely

Hats off to you sir. Outstanding job.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

RotarDad

Thanks for all the kind comments!!!

Contempra - A 7C dial was the factory code for a plastic finger wheel, while the 7D was used to indicate the black-painted metal wheel on a black phone.  Your 7C would have originally had a plastic wheel, and most likely was changed during a refurbishment.  My '56 base came to me with black plastics and metal wheel from the refurb shop also.

Paul

Contempra

Quote from: RotarDad on February 16, 2014, 08:13:40 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments!!!

Contempra - A 7C dial was the factory code for a plastic finger wheel, while the 7D was used to indicate the black-painted metal wheel on a black phone.  Your 7C would have originally had a plastic wheel, and most likely was changed during a refurbishment.  My '56 base came to me with black plastics and metal wheel from the refurb shop also.

Sorry RotarDad, I'm wrong about my dial and its a 7A on my 1953 black Western Electric...

Dennis Markham

Beautiful Mahogany Model 500!  Nice job.  Your patience paid off.

RotarDad

Paul

AE40FAN

Funny how it works out.  I'm very happy for you.  Phone looks fantastic.  Very similar situation with my Rose beige.   Awhile back I purchased a 10-56 rose beige from a post for a very reasonable price.   Unfortunately, phone must have been stored in a very wet environment.  Base was completely rusted through.  Could only save the plastics.  Missing line cord and handset cord was stained/badly faded.   About a few months ago I came across a BIN 29.99 included shipping for a phone that looked to be a faded LT beige with a 9C dial.  I took a chance and Bid.  Phone arrived and to my surprised it was a completely matching 10-56 Rose beige minus the updated dial.  Plastics were faded (still in great shape) but, it had all the parts I was lacking on my current phone.  I'd be curious as to see if I can salvage the faded plastics whether it be with peroxide or a high speed buffer.

RotarDad

AE40Fan - That's a great story on yours as well!  This is a huge advantage of Ebay in my opinion.  It is possible to find things if you are patient and have an eye for the details.  Post some pics of your Rose Beige - we'd like to see them!
Paul