News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Kellogg ITT 500

Started by andre_janew, March 29, 2015, 01:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

I've always thought that this phone was made during the early to mid 1960s, based on the dates I found on some of the parts.  Recently I noticed the receiver cap lacked a center hole.  Now I don't know what to think.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on March 29, 2015, 01:02:23 PM
I've always thought that this phone was made during the early to mid 1960s, based on the dates I found on some of the parts.  Recently I noticed the receiver cap lacked a center hole.  Now I don't know what to think.

Have you researched the subject? While Western Electric changed moldings ca. 1959, this may not apply equally to all manufacturers of 500-compatible equipment. I don't have reliable documentation in mind right now, but I do think Kellogg's changes always lagged behind bY a few years.

andre_janew

The dates on the transmitter, receiver, and network are from the 1960s.  However, there is no date on the ringer.  I can't find a date anywhere on the inside of the case.

andre_janew

I've heard that Kellogg lagged behind Western Electric by a few years, of course.  I am never quite sure how much "a few" entails, however.

I have noticed that the network and switch hook are not riveted in place.  They seem to be held in place by small nuts and bolts.  There are no dates on the bottom either.  The last picture shows where the date is found on a typical WE 500 set.

andre_janew

Some of you may be wondering if the dial has a date on it.  Yes, there is a date on the dial.  Here is a picture of the back of the dial and the 1-65 date.

andre_janew

Where would I go to find accurate information on Kellogg ITT 500 sets?  I don't trust Wikipedia because I recently got some inaccurate information that got me in trouble with certain people in Eastern Europe.  I don't want to get inaccurate information again!

andre_janew

I recently discovered I can completely silence the ringer on this phone by setting the bells so close together that the clapper can't move!  I had no idea that this was possible!

HarrySmith

In your picture of the inside of the case, just to the right of the plunger there is a circle stamped into the case. That looks like a date clock stamp. I tried zooming in but could not get a clear enough picture to read it. If you look closely you should find the date there.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 02, 2016, 08:04:22 PM
In your picture of the inside of the case, just to the right of the plunger there is a circle stamped into the case. That looks like a date clock stamp. I tried zooming in but could not get a clear enough picture to read it. If you look closely you should find the date there.
No, that's not it, that looks like a mold mark. If you look in the same spot of the left side you should see another mark just like it.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

Harry, I know what you are talking about, but it just isn't there.  I took a couple of pictures of the inside of a WE case and a couple of pictures of my Kellogg ITT case.