Retro Oval Phone

Started by Systemagic, February 14, 2012, 07:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Systemagic

Does anyone have any info on this?

It's Northern Telecom

Stamped:
QSQM440A

Network Addressing components are property of B.C. Tel.

Brassy metal trim around the base.

Particularly smooth dial action.

twocvbloke

The only thing I know about those phones is that BT sold them here in the 80's as the "Dawn" telephone:

http://telephonesuk.co.uk/phones_1980on.htm#Dawn

AE_Collector

Nortel 'Dawn" here in Canada as well. The reason for the (probably yellow sticker) mentioning "Network Addressing Componenets" is that these were being sold (mainly by the Telco's)before you could legally own and connect your own phone. So the Network Addressing Components are all of the electical componenets and the shell of the phone is owned by the customer. This was referred to as "Sale of Shell" here in BC Canada at least.

Terry

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

deedubya3800

I have a Dawn, same colour as this one. I don't display it anymore because I'm pretty bored with it now since Sonny With A Chance went off. I've thort of selling it, but right now it's packed up in a bocks in the attic.

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Dawn was offered by the Bell System down here, as well.  I've always liked the style of this set.
= DARRIN =

Adam

To be technically correct, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this phone was ever sold by "The Bell System".  It was, however, sold by some of the local Bell telcos after the breakup of the Bell System.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

bingster

I can't speak about other RBOCs, but Chesapeake & Potomac did offer a number of Northern sets for sale in 1982 (pre-breakup):

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1245.msg67986#msg67986

I was wrong about the Dawn, though--It was the similar Rendez-Vous that was offered by C&P.
= DARRIN =

twocvbloke

Quote from: bingster on February 21, 2012, 10:10:29 PMbut Chesapeake & Potomac

I dunno why, but my half asleep brain read those as "Cheapskate & Potato", I need some caffeine to wake up!!! :D