"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Chrome Gray two piecer. Fake?

Started by trainman, February 20, 2018, 06:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

kleenax

Hmmm; yes, it's real, and has a lot of real parts, but other than the bottom & top housings, nice cast coin gauge, and possibly the switch-hook (probably an early reproduction, but can't tell for sure), all the rest of the parts are of newer AE 3-slot vintage.

It could certainly be brought back to original vintage with some work and period parts. The chrome would have to be the first thing to go, but it does look cool, eh! ;-)

LOTS of 50s-60s AE parts:
AE dial
AE vault door & lock
AE coin chute
AE top lock

Also has a WE-Princess ringer in it, along with a "solid-state" network. Has a 50s-60s WE Top Instruction card holder, and an updated (repro?) receiver. And, the studs on the sides of the cast iron top have been removed (cut) to make room for the AE lead coin chute assembly.

This is undoubtedly a Phoneco "re-do"; $450 at the most just because of the 3 original parts (top, bottom, coin gauge).
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

RB

Oh Man...Kleenax, you just don't know anything about phones, do you. lol  ;)
you got all that from just those couple pics?
Wow! impressive.  :D
It's good to have peeps like yourself around!
Cheers!

kleenax

Quote from: RB on February 21, 2018, 03:41:07 PM
Oh Man...Kleenax, you just don't know anything about phones, do you. lol  ;)
you got all that from just those couple pics?
Wow! impressive.  :D
It's good to have peeps like yourself around!
Cheers!
Oh Man!
Thanks, I'm just self-taught, and have torn a bunch of these apart, but I'm sure I missed something ;-)
Just hope the "SS" doesn't find out!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Payphone installer

I have several of these payphones they were handset phone that came from the Manitoba Telephone Company in Canada. Think I spelled that right. what was done was really nice two piece phones were torn apart and sold as a phone center like item. They were sold to the public somewhere. I have bought several from ebay. They usually are a collection of nice parts. It has the old gauge on top also has nice bottom and probably a 50A back as one I have with the riveted number tag but you can't see the back. As far as I know two piece phones were not chromed. Chances are the gong mounts are ground off the upper housing. You cant see that either. The last one I bought cost 289.00 I think I have posted pictures of it in the past on the forum and went into detail about it. There is no way it is worth the price he is asking. The phone came from Phonco. That  is who has been selling them for years. 250.00 would be a good offer to get the coin gauge.