News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

53 500

Started by bushman, May 31, 2010, 05:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

I finally got an all soft plastic 500. I probably paid too much for it , but I am still happy. All the numbers match except the handset cord. Even the wall cord is 53.

Bushman

bwanna

very nice  :) contgrats on your first soft plastic! how much did you pay? i have one for sale that has been sitting for quite awhile. just wondering if my price is too high.
donna

bushman

I paid $35.00 for it. I jumped the gun a little because there was another guy just waiting for me to set it down. There was also a 1970 yellow 500 for $24.00 and a no dial 554 black for $10.00. I didn't get the other two yet still thinking about it.

Bushman

HarrySmith

Congrats on your fist soft 500. I just got my third which is black and I have not even opened it up yet. I don't think $35.00 is too much for a soft plastic phone in as good condition as that is!

Harry

Bwanna, what color soft 500 do you have for sale?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bwanna

harry, boring black. i wanna say it is also a 1953 or maybe1956. it's in my booth at the antique mall. i just bought a no dial 554 for $21, which i thot was a deal. i also think $35 for the black 500 is a decent price. i have mine marked $45. i wouldn't pay the $24 for the 1970.
donna

McHeath

I got pretty good prices on my 3 soft plastic black 500s, 12 bucks, 25 smackers and 15 clams.  35 is not out of line I think.  The date code on the shell is different than what I've seen before, anyone know why it has an "I" right after the 5 and before the 3?

Jester

i think the "I" was substituted for "1", McHeath-- look at "16" for the day.  Must have been a BISD graduate!
Stephen

savageje

Nice 500 set!  I just finished sprucing up a '53 500 that I picked up at a flea market for $9.  The dial was stuck, the fingerwheel had to be repainted, the handset cord had to be replaced, and it was missing its receiver capsule, but other than that it was great.  The main reason I bought it was that the G1 handset was a nice piano black and in good shape with its original caps.  I love the soft plastic sets (of which I have a grand total of 2 now).  You just can't beat the cheesy smell -- and that gratifying "clunk" sound when you put the handset back in the cradle.  I know, I am a sick individual.  ;-)

Dan/Panther

Quote from: McHeath on June 01, 2010, 12:00:11 AM
I got pretty good prices on my 3 soft plastic black 500s, 12 bucks, 25 smackers and 15 clams.  35 is not out of line I think.  The date code on the shell is different than what I've seen before, anyone know why it has an "I" right after the 5 and before the 3?

That case is actually dated June 16, 1951, 3rd sift.
6  16  51  3
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson