News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

20AL wiring

Started by shadow67, June 23, 2021, 09:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow67

I recently acquired a 20AL candlestick phone. I have a diagram that shows the wiring connections, but when I opened this thing up it looks very strange. The screw terminal for R is missing but there is a s short black jumper wire soldered to the hole and the other end screws onto Y terminal. My diagram says the transmitter wires should go to Y and YY but on this phone they go to W and GN. The sunset wires according to the diagram are hard to see but mine go to Y, GN and YY. The phone came with a receiver and its cord but it was separate and not connected. I opened it up to wire the receiver. Is this a valid setup, and which terminals would the receiver go to? I was going to try to just rewire it, but the missing screw terminal makes that not appear possible at this point. Is there a way to use what is here and connect the receiver in such a way it will work? Thanks

RB

Hi Shadow.
Not sure about your stack config.
Rec seems to be on YY which is the bottom blade, the long one, and BK on the dial.
Would need to see a closeup of the side of the stack to be more help.

shadow67

Thanks for the response. I will try to post another pic of the connections. Here are some other pics of the outside I took.

Whitcrane76

These might help you.

shadow67

Thanks. I think I can figure out the original wiring standard from these. For some reason this phone has been changed. I don't know if someone removed the screw terminal to solder the wire for some special purpose or it somehow was lost and this was done as a fix, changing the wiring around. I guess if I can find a screw for the connection I could rewire the phone as per spec. I was just wondering if I could get it to work the way it is. It came with a receiver and cord but it is not currently connected.

poplar1

Are all 3 contacts present? It appears that there is more than just the screw missing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

FABphones

Quote from: shadow67 on June 23, 2021, 09:41:29 PM
...when I opened this thing up it looks very strange...

Would you add more photos, inc sideways.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

shadow67

i will try to post more tonight. thanks

poplar1

Any more photos of the hookswitch?

shadow67

Sorry it took me so long to get the photos but here they are

shadow67

And a few more

RB

Hi Shadow.
First off, don't believe anything I say...
Your set "appears" to be a mutt.
The switch stack looks more for a 21 set than a 20.
I can see the 20 on the perch, but the stack is for a 21. I believe, anyway.
Does your set have a horse shoe terminal strip in the base?
Based on my limited finding, your switch stack is for a "series" set, not a booster set.
Do you have the bell box? that would tell more.
Here is a pic of a 21 set showing your stack config.
If you wish to have it be a 20 set, you will need to replace that stack with one for a 20.
I do not think you will be able to use that one for a 20 config. IMHO

poplar1

RB, Shadow's switch is definitely *not* from an AE 21. It is for a Western Electric 20AL. Unfortunately, someone has tried to rearrange the contact springs and has removed some of the other parts. All 3 springs should make when the receiver is off the hook.

shadow67

Thank you for those replies. Yes the stem and switch look similar to other 20ALs I have seen, although as you say it looks messed with. Fortunately I did not pay a large amount for this phone. I was drawn by the relatively low price and the *329* transmitter with American Bell markings on the back. I was wondering how I might make it operational as is, but T this point I think it might be easier to find another switch. It did not come with a subset but I have some to test it with.

I really love the elegant looks of a Western candlestick and have a few, mostly manual ones. My favorites are the nickel 20Bs. What I would really like next is a rotary one with a number 2 dial, but those are always so expensive. When I first started collecting I bought a couple of "restored" ones online. They look great but are not original as they have modern transmitters and later dials. As my collection has progressed I appreciate original condition more and shiny new looking finishes are not as important.

RB

Poplar... I agree with your correction.
I was trying to make the most of what was left of that stack.
I do not see how rearranging the blades would result in a 3 blade progressive stack in that the inner blade is shaped different than the normal 3 blade set.
I assume then, that this stack was originally a spdt with an added spst switch??? which has been removed.
Shadow, there is a web sight that offers a "new" stack for a 3 blade progressive stack. If that is the direction you wish to pursue?
I do not, however remember what it is???
Poplar, can you direct our friend to that web sight?
I remember the part is not too expensive??? and would fix the problem Shadow is having.