News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Hanging Handset

Started by Doug Rose, March 18, 2012, 07:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Past few weeks there have seen six of these on eBay that all went extremely low. I got two from the same seller and this is the first I cleaned up. It looked as if the nickel was gone and pitted, BUT it was just dirty. Just Noxon and fine steel wool. Amazingly all bakelite was in really outstanding condition, the handle cover is usually chipped or broken. This has the very hard to find spacer between the MP and the transmitter. Original green cloth handset cord. The outer covering was tattered, but the cloth wires inside were perfect; Jan braided them. I was amazed seeing these going in the low $20s. The highest I saw of the six was $30. These are such a cool handset with patent dates in the late 1800s.These used to sell well over $100. This was not an easy cleanup, very time consuming. But well worth it!..Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Very nice, Doug.  It's obvious it took some time to make it look that nice.  Nice job.

Witty

Very nice Doug,

This was the WE 1909 Handset phone.  I have always loved these things.  I sold one years ago that was in almost perfect condition.  I'm wishing I had it back now because I doubt I'll find another one as good.  The one problem with mine was the original cord that was in bad condition.  I really like how your cord came out, you did a wonderful job on it, and the rest of the body.  Excellent work.

Ken
Ken

Doug Rose

Ken....yours looks like it is brand new!! Mine has the old flat dull nickel of the early 1900s. Yours looks like it was just chromed. It certainly does shine. Outstanding piece. I don't think I have ever seen a nicer one...Doug
Kidphone