News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

When Did eBay Start adding Tax?

Started by Doug Rose, October 25, 2019, 02:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I haven't purchased much on eBay this year but I just noticed they are adding tax to every purchase? When did this happen?....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on October 25, 2019, 02:22:38 PM
I haven’t purchased much on eBay this year but I just noticed they are adding tax to every purchase? When did this happen?....Doug

eBay started adding GST here as well - it was at the insistence of the Australian Federal Government. They thought they were missing out.

What tax has been added? Is it a state sales, value added or goods and services tax? Probably your state governments were missing out too.

Jack

paul-f

I noticed tax being added to sales several months ago. In many cases, ebay charged the buyer, but didn't even tell me they were doing it. They got the tax money directly from PayPal.

Some info and dates are here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/paying-tax-ebay-purchases?id=4771#section3
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

tubaman

It has always surprised me when I've visited the USA that the tax gets added at the checkout stage. Here in the UK the tax (Value Added Tax - at 20%, but not on all goods) is already included in the ticket price.
This won't affect us for most private eBay sellers as they only have to start charging VAT if their annual turnover is above £85,000.
Personally I prefer the way our system works as you always know what you are going to pay when you pick up an item and don't get a nasty shock at the checkout. However, with tax rates as low as in the USA I think I could get used to your system quite quickly.  :)

countryman

that system has been harmonized EU wide pretty well and private buyers or sellers haven't to think about it in most cases. Current rate in Germany is 19% (7% on food and some other products). In e-commerce, the place of purchase (seller) counts.
Selling pre-used, privately owned goods is tax free without limit "here", but both eBay and the tax office are picky about sellers trading goods of the same type frequently. A phone collector who sells more than a few phone related items now and then would quickly be classified as a commercial seller, with the effect of taxation if annual turnover is over EUR 17,500 and also what product liability, return policy etc. is concerned.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Dan/Panther

It's been awhile, here in California, I just paid my first tax about a week ago.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Babybearjs

government wants their money! now that ebay and other have to charge sales tax, it makes thing a bit more expensive. But I don't buy enough to worry about it. tax is tax.... you always will have to pay it!
John