News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let's play a game......

Started by Dan, January 19, 2012, 07:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Did I get a SOFT plastic 554 for this price?? Thick switchhook (what years were they available??) . Cord has the thick "nub" near the handset.  I needed a green 554, soft tenite would be gravy. Let's have a vote and when I get the phone I will post the answer. :)

http://tinyurl.com/8x9rouz
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Just4Phones

The soft center indicates yes but I've seen some that were refurbs with a new case.  Did you ask if it had 6 holes in the ear piece?  Many times I think I have a soft plastic and the seller comes back with 7 holes.  At any rate $4.99 is a good price no matter what.  Best of luck with it.

Dan

If I had asked the six hole question, I would have not got it so cheap possibly (mr Helpful may have chimed in.....) Actually, for this price I wanted it to be a mystery. I should get it by saturday so who knows.....I think it is soft plastic  8)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Just4Phones

Someone on here gave a great hint to avoid that problem and I have been using it since.  You bring up the sellers other items and ask your question there.  Nine times out of ten they will just answer and not post it on the right auction....its worked so far for me  ;)   Okay I'm ready to make a guess.... I say its a 1963 model year.  Do I get the phone if I'm right?  ;D

Dan

Nice idea

Guesses

Dan  1958

Just4Phones (Joe) 1963

No you don't get the phone, but a lifetime supply of rice-a-roni, the SanFrancisco treat, just for playing ?(in my best let's make a deal voice).

HarrySmith

For $18.00 it's a great buy either way!
My guess is a 1960 phone with plastics from 1971.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

There just aren't enough clues from the photo to tell if it's hard or soft plastic.  The dial bezel does look to be a bit darker than the housing, which may mean the housing was changed.  It's difficult to tell from the volume lever if it's one of the older, straight ones or the later one that has a couple of 90 degree bends.

I will often ask if there is a date printed on the "inside edge of the housing".  Even if there is a date there it could still be after mid 1959 and be ABS.  I hope you got a nice soft plastic set here.  Make sure you let us know when it arrives, Dan.

bingster

Put me down for date matching soft plastic 1959. :)
= DARRIN =

liteamorn

Based on the thick handset cord mouned in the middle of the shell I throw my .02 on soft shell.

Dan

keep them coming, we will have a winner when I get it!!

AE_Collector

Quote from: Just4Phones on January 19, 2012, 08:19:22 PM
Someone on here gave a great hint to avoid that problem and I have been using it since.  You bring up the sellers other items and ask your question there. 

Hey, that was me! Glad that ploy is working for you.

And I've got my fingers crossed for you Dan....Good Luck!

Terry

Tom B

Tom

jsowers

It looks a lot like it could be soft plastic, but the shine on the plastics makes me think late 1959.

If I win, Rice-a-Roni is OK, but not Lee Press-On Nails, please! :)

Seriously, I hope it's soft plastic that's still shiny and if so, you stand a good chance in the January Finds at that bargain price..
Jonathan

AE_Collector

Quote from: jsowers on January 20, 2012, 09:53:20 AM

Rice-A-Roni is only available to contestants in the San Francisco Bay area. We can check the warehouse to see if we have anything from K-Tel left for you though.

Terry

Dan

Quote from: AE_collector on January 20, 2012, 11:31:23 AM
Quote from: jsowers on January 20, 2012, 09:53:20 AM

Rice-A-Roni is only available to contestants in San Francisco and surrounding areas. We can check he warehouse to see if we still have anything from K-Tel left for you.

Terry

Ok how about this K-tel classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrwkZkSChrM&feature=related