News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with this switchboard

Started by ....., September 03, 2016, 11:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have a chance to buy this switchboard for $250.00 CDN, but It is a 4 1/2 hour drive one way to get it. What is it and is it worth it?

poplar1

I don't recognize it, but the fact that there are single cords -- rather than cord pairs -- suggests that this may have been for a telephone answering service, rather than a PBX used to connect phones to each other and to outside trunks (lines).

As with all PBXs, it is always a good idea to see pictures of the back with the cover off. Many were gutted.

$75 would probably be too much.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

He sent me a picture with the back off. Could this be out of a Motel/Hotel?

Weco355aman

Well it is a WE/NE 55x type unit.
The good news is that's its NOT a gutless wonder.  It is not a standard switchboard , looks like a answer only board.
The 1035 TT dial was added much later in its life. As for the price I'd go $125/$175.
Phil
Phil

I just got a reply back from him and this is what he said:

"I worked for Bell Canada for 31 years and acummulated a fair collection myself. This board came out of a local answering service about 25 years or so ago hope this helps you."

I added a couple more pictures he sent.

I guess I going to be the new owner of this switchboard. He accepted my $200.00 CDN offer. He has also said the he has some other thing I may be interested in. He said he has a old intercom system that came out of a dry goods store 40 years ago. Who knows maybe that will come back with me as well.

Victor Laszlo

As has been stated, it is not a switchboard, or a PBX. Its only use was to answer trunks and take messages. You won't be able to connect telephones to each other or make calls within your collection.

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on September 04, 2016, 11:37:32 PM
As has been stated, it is not a switchboard, or a PBX. Its only use was to answer trunks and take messages. You won't be able to connect telephones to each other or make calls within your collection.

That's ok, it will just be used as a display piece. Even lonely old answering service boards need a place to shine.   :)

I picked up the answering service switchboard today. The owner also gave me a Northern Electric intercom system from an old dry goods store that was in downtown North Bay, Ontario, Canada before it closed. I'll post more about it in the Flea Market/Yard Sale/Antique Store Finds thread.

twocvbloke

I know a few people in North Bay, one of whom used to work for Ontera which got bought out by Bell, or Bell Aliant or some other confugulation of same-named but different company things... ;D

Don't think they'd know about that store though, they're not interested in vintage stuff...  :-\

Victor Laszlo

I believe that the large opening in the key shelf might have held a calculagraph.

DavePEI

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on September 06, 2016, 07:56:59 PM
I believe that the large opening in the key shelf might have held a calculagraph.
No - think about it - it is an answering only board,. No toll calls outward. It is to hold the message card bin.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Victor Laszlo

Right you are.  I was thinking about some requirement to document the start and end times of incoming calls.