News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

We are getting hammered in Boston. Already over two feet of the white stuff. I am 20 miles West and we were fortunate enough to get light fluffy snow, but a lot of light fluffy snow. Closer to the coast they got cement, heavy wet snow. It looks like a snow globe outside right now. We have not lost our power, we are very lucky. Winds are strong, a real blizzard and how is your Saturday?......Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, glad to hear you still have your power there.  I feel for those that do not...it doesn't take long for the house to get cold with no power for heat.  I know we have other forum members "back east".  Hope everyone is doing equally as well.  Your snow globe analogy is a good one.  Show us a photo if you can.

Here in the Detroit area we got about 4-5 inches yesterday just in time for the morning rush.  About 300 school districts in the area closed schools.  Nice sunny, bright day today.

zaphod01

Good luck with the snow, Doug. We are scheduled for heavy rain, high winds, and large hail later this evening in Dallas.

I'm watching Nemo coverage on the Weather Channel and it doesn't look like much fun. I hope your power stays online!
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM
We are getting hammered in Boston. Already over two feet of the white stuff. I am 20 miles West and we were fortunate enough to get light fluffy snow, but a lot of light fluffy snow. Closer to the coast they got cement, heavy wet snow. It looks like a snow globe outside right now. We have not lost our power, we are very lucky. Winds are strong, a real blizzard and how is your Saturday?......Doug
Hi Doug and All!

9:00 am - PEI shut down, plows only on main roads, RCMP telling people to stay off the roads, only one power pole visible from our house, and we can't see the next door neighbour's house! Its party time on PEI!

Road, what road!

Now, here's a laugh. A Snowshoe event has been shut down due to the snow! "The Charlottetown Parks and Recreation Department's free snowshoeing event at Victoria Park has been cancelled for Saturday, February 9 due to the storm. The event will continue on Saturday, February 23, depending on the weather" - CBC Storm Centre!

RCMP are advising motorists to stay off all Island roads if possible. Conditions are deteriorating and with the expected high winds, and more snow, conditions are not expected to improve anytime soon. Plows currently operating on main highways only and may be pulled off them if visibility gets much worse.

Let it snow, Let it snow. Let it snow! (Needless to say, I plan on staying inside and warm!) It'll be spring before I see the museum again, though it is next door. The drift is ten feet high in front of the door! I am praying for a bit of a change of wind direction before the storm ends to move it!

It is expected to continue until tomorrow morning, but tapering off a bit this evening! 20 deg f., winds gusting to 90 km/h.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Doug Rose

Impossible to measure with the drifts, easily over two feet....BBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRR and a balmy  19 and windy. Check out the dog house and the shed... and the last picture is how it will look in four months...Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

I'm a bit north of Doug.  We got over two feet as well, and fortunately still have power.  The drift that covers the deck looks to be closer to three feet deep.

It's gorgeous out there now, so we're headed out to do some shoveling and XC skiing.

Here's a before/after view looking out toward the back yard.  You can page back and forth in the .pdf to get an idea of the change, or click on the .gif to animate it.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

davidbholcomb

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 09, 2013, 12:09:44 PM
Impossible to measure with the drifts, easily over two feet....BBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRR and a balmy  19 and windy. Check out the dog house and the shed... and the last picture is how it will look in four months...Doug

Stay warm Doug, I guess there will be no phones photographed from this table for awhile ::) Hope you keep power
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.

HarrySmith

Hope you all "weather" this storm ok ;D
Looks like it was not the "perfect storm" they were forecasting, what a surprise?
For me today they are forecasting only around 78 degrees and sunny.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

JorgeAmely

58 and sunny from the left coast. But there was frost on the lawn this morning.

Doug: make sure the phones room is kept at a nice temperature. You don't want those old plastics to crack. Stay warm.
Jorge

Doug Rose

thanks Jorge....phone room is kept at a constant 68. Second floor, far two right windows is the phone room. 58 sounds great to me.

Harry....just mean  :'(

Its 21 and dropping.....Kidcold

In three months it will look like pic 2
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Thanks Doug and Paul for the photos.  After seeing all of that, I have nothing to complain about here with 4-5 inches of new snow.

Do you have the A/C on down there, Harry?

Doug Rose

Dennis....here is my walk from my side door.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Wow!  Hopefully you have a nice two-stage snow blower to clear the walks and driveway.

Sargeguy

This is only about 18". the 24" fence in the background can be seen just above the snow.  The major drift was in my driveway (of course) about 3 feet in places.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

You know its bad when you have an inch of snow stuck to the side of your house.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409