News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 10, 2014, 09:32:43 PM
We in south western BC (Vancouver) like to laugh at Alberta whenever we get the chance . . .

This help any, Terry?  ;D

Looks like they got over a foot of snow on the ground in the high country of Banff and Canmore. Early skiing? Or just sitting in the Tea House at the far end of Lake Louise with your favorite beverage to enjoy a sun rise ?  . . .  8)

twocvbloke

Looks chilly there, we're still hitting 20 degrees in places here in the UK... :P

WesternElectricBen

WesternElectricBen

It's back... Well, it has been for the last week or so in Minnesota.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

It looks like we're in the middle of our first snowfall here in Waukesha. It's pretty slick on the roads, and it seems like everyone forgets how to drive in snow now... ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 15, 2014, 08:16:51 PM
. . . and it seems like everyone forgets how to drive in snow now... ;D

And they forget they forgot to put tires on their cars that have sufficient tread to gain traction on the road until that first hill or stop sign puts them into the curb, or worse.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: TelePlay on November 15, 2014, 09:43:33 PM

And they forget they forgot to put tires on their cars that have sufficient tread to gain traction on the road until that first hill or stop sign puts them into the curb, or worse.

BFG A/T's

Back tires of my 84 'Burb, all tires on my '86 CUCV M-1009:> Don't leave home without them! More than 20 yrs / mult. vehs running this tire. Always pulling other people out, 2WD, and 4WD. ;) Never begged an assist, so far....<knock wood> ;D

Just now having to replace (some) on 86 CUCV due to aging / weathering, with 75,000+ miles on them, still over 3/4" tread. Money well spent...

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on November 15, 2014, 09:43:33 PM

On the ride home from dinner, I counted five accidents from people smashing into each other because of the snow and ice. It's like they've been driving in California their whole life (no offense to our Californian members)! Most of the accidents involved people who had really tiny rear-wheel-drive hatchbacks with skinny, practically treadless tires. Anyone with a 4x4 was doing just fine!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Well, think I'll get a chance to use the snow blower tomorrow. That blob of blue just getting to the Chicago area is moving very slowly to the east-northeast. Three states of snow coming our way and all that green moisture below the snow line will be adding inches of that wet, heavy pan-handle hooker snow to my driveway, sidewalk and steps.  :-[

Watch it for yourself, live, at this link:

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true

WesternElectricBen

Uh oh, I hope we don't get much in the Twin Cities. I haven't started the snow blower yet and the gas in it is many months old.

Ben

Doug Rose

We just got 33 inches in the Blizzard on Tuesday and now we are expecting another 12+ inches tonight into tomorrow. Nowhere to put it....Doug
Kidphone

dsk

We have had some strange weather here to, but today. Great. -3 deg C

dsk

TelePlay

UPDATE:  9 hours later and it's about half way done. Wind is up and had to blow some snow drifts about 2' deep to get to the car. Just another winter day in the upper mid-west. It's a nice snow fall and I've seen a lot more snow many times before in the past 60 years. Looks like Detroit is just starting to get what we got 9 hours ago.

Fabius

10:20 CST La Porte, Indiana. Home of the first automatic telephone exchange. And it's still coming down.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Dennis Markham

We are in the early stages of this "snow event".  So far only a few inches have fallen but parts of the Detroit area will get just over a foot of snow before it's finished.  I'm a little to the north which will get less...only 7-10 inches.  My snow blower is ready to go.

Doug, I think you guys get the award again this year for the most snow.  Unbelievable amount of snow.  Those of us that live in these cold areas know  how to deal with it for the most part.

I saw last night on the news that we've only had 18+ inches to date this winter.  This time last year we had 55+ inches, so we cannot complain. 

Enjoy your time indoors all you snow birds!

~Dennis