News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Just to give you an idea of how the storm is still affecting PEI, have a peek at th3e webcam on the center span of the Confederation Bridge to PEI. The storm isn't supposed to end until later tomorrow morning.

http://confederationbridge.com/bridge-cam/BridgeCam100_9.asx

Below that, one of the PEI government's road cams located at the Albany "Y".

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Wow! Doesn't look fun! It's been quite some time since we had a winter storm of such proportions here in KS, though it does happen...

Is emigration prohibited from your locales? ;)

Sincerely hoping that the power stays on, at least, for all of you in the afflicted areas...

Best regards, and best of luck to you!

Terrence

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DavePEI

Quote from: Mr. Bones on February 09, 2013, 08:59:52 PM
Is emigration prohibited from your locales? ;)

Sincerely hoping that the power stays on, at least, for all of you in the afflicted areas...

No Immigration or emigration from or to here. The airport is shut down, and the Bridge is the only way on the Island this time of the year, and it is shut down by the storm :) Even if they do get it open, police are telling people to stay off the roads, and plows are running reduced schedules on main roads only, and even these may have stopped now due to the whiteouts!

The bridge is 12.9-kilometre (8 mi) long with an 60 m (197 ft) high navigation span to permit ship traffic (section shown in photo). Much of the rest of the bridge is 40 metres (131 ft) above water. There is also a ferry to Pictou on the other end of the Island, but ferry service is suspended for the winter months.

Yes, I sure hope the power stays on! So far so good at least in our area!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Dave,

does the Museum have some, however minimal, climate control? I'm more concerned for you, of course, but also wondering about the phones, equipment, etc.

Stay warm, and safe!!!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

HarrySmith

No A/C today, the forecast was wrong as usual, never got above76 and we had a rain shower!
Yesterday it was 82, too hot for February.

Seiously, to all our friends and family up in thr Northeast, stay warm & stay safe!

I was born & raised in Connecticut, shoveled my share of snow. I recall climbing out the second story window of my parents house to shovel out the front door!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

DavePEI

Quote from: Mr. Bones on February 09, 2013, 09:24:16 PM
Dave,

does the Museum have some, however minimal, climate control? I'm more concerned for you, of course, but also wondering about the phones, equipment, etc.

Stay warm, and safe!!!

Terrence
Hi Terrence:

Everything is safe over there, so long as the power stays on. Temperature is just a bit below freezing, so even if the power went off for a while, there would be no problem. I worry more about humidity than lack of heat. Never had any damage to any of the equipment.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Dave,

Glad to hear that!

I baselessly assumed that it is not the first winter that has occurred there, but had also recalled you talking about it being not a good night to go work in the Museum, etc., so was just inquisitive.... as long as you are safe, the rest is icing on the cake!

You are the only irreplaceable item related to that museum. ;)

Best regards!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DavePEI

Quote from: Mr. Bones on February 09, 2013, 09:43:29 PM
I baselessly assumed that it is not the first winter that has occurred there, but had also recalled you talking about it being not a good night to go work in the Museum

Terrence
Hi Terrence:

I couldn't work over there if I wanted to - there is a 10 foot drift against the door! Hopefully over night, the wind will change direction and blow most of it away.

Yes, we usually have several storms a year like this - years ago, they used to be much worse - we have had to more than on one occasion had to climb out the upstairs window to get out!

I remember years ago when we were living in the house which is now the museum, there was a storm with extreme winds,, and minus 30 c temps - the furnace couldn't keep up and was running continuously. All of a sudden it got warm in the house, and the furnace hardly came on. We looked out the west windows, and a 25 foot drift had formed, and wrapped up and over the roof. The drift completely protected us from the wind, and was great insulation.  The next morning after a wind change, we awoke to find it completely gone - no sign of the drift any more. Thankfully, the winds had dropped as well, and the temperature had risen!

Which brought back memories of another storm which happened the year after my wife and I married (Yes, 32 years ago). A major storm swept through the Island, and felled power poles across much of the Island. It again, was very cold, and here we were with no power and no heat. Kerosene lamps provided the light. All we had was an old fireplace in what is now the main display room of the museum. Well, the year before, we had felled a bunch of trees and still had the wood piled up against the barn. The power was out just a bit over a week. During that week, we burned over two cords of wood in that inefficient fireplace, and so we could stay warm, put blankets over all the doors from that room to allow it to make enough heat! We slept on the living room couches, under piles of blankets. We took all out refrigerated food out to the unheated porch to keep it from spoiling. It was fun, and it cleaned up that pile of wood. The year following that, we bought a generator, but have never needed it as much as we did that year! It was an eye-opener, as I think it was the first time that I really understood what it was like for our ancestors living without power. :'(

Last week, believe it or not, we didn't have a bit of snow left on the property but that didn't last :)

Update: 07:00 Sunday morning. The worst of the snow has stopped, but high winds and severe drifting continue, blowing the snow around. Police are still asking people to stay off the roads as the clean-up begins!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Though the storm isn't done with us yet, I thought I would post a couple of photos taken about 5 minutes ago. The first, believe it or not, is covering our car. Hope I didn't leave the windows open! At least that is where I left it before the storm  ;D

Not even the car's antenna poking above the snow!

Then a view out the other side of our house! That is level land - what you see in the background is a newly formed snow mountain!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

It always has to drift in the driveway!  Next time I'm parking in my front yard!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

DavePEI

Quote from: Sargeguy on February 10, 2013, 10:00:18 AM
It always has to drift in the driveway!  Next time I'm parking in my front yard!
Didn't you know cars are snow magnets? :o Going to have to put a smaller flux capacitor in mine! It attracts too much snow!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I think yours had an appointment at there repair shop Dave. Fortunately it headed there just as the storm got started.

Terry

DavePEI

Speaking of cars attracting snow...

The drift which has covered the car came in a crescent shape from the road in front of the house. I just happened to look out the front window, and noticed there are two cars stuck in the road just in front of our house! Stuck well, too - the drift is about 3 feet high there but solid for about 30 feet. Another car is stuck in front of this one. We have no idea how long they have been stuck there, but they look as though they haven't been there that long. No plows in the past 24 hours. The snow and blowing seem to be slowing down a little now.

Update: 5 pm. The plow finally came and towed these guys out, then plowed the road. Still snowing, so we will likely tackle our car once the drifting subsides the rest of the way. No rush to go anywhere!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 10, 2013, 01:17:58 PM
I think yours had an appointment at there repair shop Dave. Fortunately it headed there just as the storm got started.

Terry
Hi Terry:

Sadly, I got the repairs done last week, Terry, so it was here. If you look very carefully, you can just see the point of the car antenna sticking out a very little bit! No way we are even going to try to dig it out until the snow and blowing stops!

It is finally beginning to slack off a bit!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

Dave,

Glad to hear you're safe and sound, and that the storm is beginning to dissipate! (ugh!)

As far as your car goes, I hope you have remote-start, and left the defroster 'ON'! ;)

Best regards; stay safe and be careful... don't over-do it shoveling the  snow!

Best regards,

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus