News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

It's just dank and dreary here at the moment, last week was just as dank and dreary, but I had fire to play with at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vDuFvHZ3Pc

;D

NorthernElectric

Quote from: DavePEI on March 16, 2015, 06:10:04 AM
48 cm of snow so far in this weekend's blizzard on PEI. Roads, most businesses, and the Confederation Bridge are completely closed, and the storm continues on with very high winds, snow and blowing snow, and plows are off the roads due to lack of visibility. Once again, our car is gone, and our truck barely visible. Arggh! I love winter!

Hang in there Dave; how much longer can it last?  Certainly no more than another month or so.   ;)

I've had lots of snow and lots of cold where I am this year.  A lot of the snow in my area is lake effect, so thanks to all the cold the snowfall has slowed lately due to the higher than average freeze-up on the great lakes.  And it's been above freezing during the day every day for the last week I think, so the snow has begun to recede.  My porcelain partridge, who lives on a rock at the side of my driveway and hasn't been seen in months, has just today poked his head out of the snowbank.

Cliff

NorthernElectric

Quote from: dsk on March 16, 2015, 02:17:16 PM
A little better here during the weekend.
15 deg C in the sun, so I had to make the dinner at the veranda:
dsk

Barbeque season is year round for me.  I have been out cooking my meat on the deck  this winter (well, every winter) in temperatures below -20C.  Gotta have scorched meat!   :D
Cliff

DavePEI

That's enough! I am divorcing myself from Winter! Sunday's storm brought PEI's snow totals to well over 400 cm since winter began in ernest in mid January. This past Sunday/Monday storm dropped an estimated 58 cm, with the forecast of another storm on Wednesday. Plows are still off some roads Noday evening, but are starting to make their way now. Monday evening, the Confederation Bridge finally re-opened following a two day complete closure. We haven't seen a plow down our road all weekend and we couldn't even think of being able to get out. Plows in King's Co. are reported to be finding ten foot drifts. Enough, Winter. Go Away!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dennis Markham

Dave, I feel for you.  That's terrible that you're still enduring old-man winter.  You must have stocked your pantry well.  We had just over 60 degrees here in Michigan today.  They had forecast 71 but that never happened.  Back to reality later this week as temps drop back to the 30's for overnight lows.  But 99% of our snow is gone.  Spring is just around the corner.

DavePEI

Yes, I am fortunate. Linda hoards food. A lesson learned during her childhood with PEI winters!

I thought people would get a kick out of this photo. No, I didn't take it. I couldn't even dream of being able to get there because of the snow. I just saw an RCMP posting that said the plowed roads still have drifts higher than their cars, advising people even to stay off roads which have already been plowed. They are filling in as fast as the plows can clear them. The following photo is of St. Dunstan's in Charlottetown.
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Weather Network is reporting 48 centimetres of snow Sunday, pushing total snowfall on the season to 463 centimetres, topping the previous all time  record of 451.3 cm set just last winter. According to Environment Canada, the average winter brings 290.4 cm. How I wish it had been an average winter. :) It is entirely possible that we could surpass 500 cm. after Wednesday's storm.

This has all accumulated since winter's late start here in mid January!

Sadly, another storm, they say is poised to hit us on Wednesday! I hope we are able to get out by then, but the road is still not plowed, and we have an 8 foot drift along the top of our driveway!

Alas, because of my heart, etc., I can't shovel, so Linda, get ready to tunnel! She did get the very front of the car exposed last night! Fortunately, we do have neighbours who will blow out the top of the driveway after the plow gets through! The biggest problem is there is simply no place left to put it!

I will be glad when the snow melts and I can come out of hibernation, hopefully by July!

Update: 9:30 a.m. The plow finally got down the road cutting one path. He had to make many passes to get past our house to the wharf. He (10 a.m. is struggling his wat back up the road trying to widen it out.. Photos below. 3rd photo: Linda looking for the car  :)
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote"Free at last, Free at last, Thank God almighty we are free at last."  MLK

Visser's blow out the main portion of driveway a few minutes ago!

Update: I have added a photo of the cow path that is our road right now. After we finally got out, we drove to Belfast got get some groceries before the next big one comes tomorrow. Most of the road is a single path - when you met someone, you had to back up until it widens out so they can get by! Fun! :)
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

And yet, over here in blighty, when a few millimetres of snow lands, all hell breaks loose and people abandon cars left right and centre...  :o

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 17, 2015, 04:12:17 PM
And yet, over here in blighty, when a few millimetres of snow lands, all hell breaks loose and people abandon cars left right and centre...  :o
And that's not the end of it... Tonight and tomorrow the Environment Canada Forecast is:
QuoteWinter storm warning in effect. Tonight..Increasing cloudiness. 60 percent chance of flurries late this evening and overnight. Snow beginning before morning. Wind becoming east 20 km/h near midnight. Low minus 7. Wednesday..Snow at times heavy and blowing snow. Amount 15 cm. Wind north 30 km/h gusting to 50 increasing to 50 gusting to 70 near noon. High minus 1. Wednesday night..Snow at times heavy changing to flurries near midnight. Amount 5 to 10 cm. Blowing snow. Wind northwest 50 km/h gusting to 70. Low minus 8.

Then Saturday more snow! Arggh!
C*NET 1-651-0001

NorthernElectric

Quote from: DavePEI on March 17, 2015, 10:36:29 AMVisser's blow out the main portion of driveway a few minutes ago!

I hope for Visser's sake that he contracts by the job and not by the season.   :D
Cliff

DavePEI

Quote from: NorthernElectric on March 17, 2015, 04:35:49 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on March 17, 2015, 10:36:29 AMVisser's blow out the main portion of driveway a few minutes ago!

I hope for Visser's sake that he contracts by the job and not by the season.   :D

They do it for nothing. Such is the kindness of PEI people! PEI people known for their willingness to help others! They blow many of the driveways along the road.
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

You guys are going to get a kick out of this. This photo was taken by a neighbour who lives up the road a bit from us as the plow past their place, and as a plow driver took a break from the cycle of ramming and backing up to get through. It is a great shot! It will show you why many of the roads are only opened one lane so far. The plows had a heck of a time getting through. One person said it reminded them of the old ice breaking ferries crossing the Northumberland Strait as they repeatedly rammed the ice to break through.

Today more snow forecast (15 to 20 cm). Not so much, but a disaster on top of what we have now. Of course, spots like this will simply fill back in! And some of you you live in some US cities which shut down after 2 cm.  :)

The plow drivers certainly earn their pay. We love listening to them on the scanner during and after a storm as we await their arrival here!

As the Tempo's 1959 song said, "See you In September"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRGLjzFHa40
C*NET 1-651-0001

Russ Kirk

That is amazing!  Living in Southern California I have to travel to see snow up close.  I'm used to seeing snow 1-2" (2.5 to 5 cm) so when I see photos like the ones you share I am totally amazed.  I just wish we had some of that water here; 4 years of low rainfall and they are starting rationing in some areas.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

DavePEI

Quote from: Russ Kirk on March 18, 2015, 11:46:29 AM
That is amazing!  Living in Southern California I have to travel to see snow up close.  I'm used to seeing snow 1-2" (2.5 to 5 cm) so when I see photos like the ones you share I am totally amazed.  I just wish we had some of that water here; 4 years of low rainfall and they are starting rationing in some areas.
That's ok, I will have them pack it all on trucks and send it all to California! I was going to send it to Florida, but if you guys need it more... Just saying... Islanders are generous people. We believe in sharing  :)
C*NET 1-651-0001