News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridie

More snowy photos.  The joys of winter!  Blizzards and freezing rain covering your windows!
Bridget

Contempra

wouaaaaaaaaaah !.. c'est beaucoup de neige Bridget !,..we can make a big fort :D.. You live in a village or a small town ?

DavePEI

Quote from: Bridie on April 01, 2015, 08:57:55 PM
More snowy photos.  The joys of winter!  Blizzards and freezing rain covering your windows!
And Bridie got just a fraction of what we got. I told you, the Maritimes have been hammered this winter! Nice photos. Bridie!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bridie

Quote from: Contempra on April 01, 2015, 09:00:09 PM
wouaaaaaaaaaah !.. c'est beaucoup de neige Bridget !,..we can make a big fort :D .. You live in a village or a small town ?
I live about a 15 - 20 minute drive from downtown Halifax.  We usually don't get much snow in the city compared to the rest of the province, but this year we got absolutely hammered.  I'm losing faith in spring ever arriving :D
Bridget

Bridie

Quote from: DavePEI on April 01, 2015, 09:17:27 PM

And Bridie got just a fraction of what we got. I told you, the Maritimes have been hammered this winter! Nice photos. Bridie!

I saw a photo online of snow right up to someone's roof.  I'm pretty sure it was on PEI.  Yikes!
Bridget

Bridie

This is hilarious, Rick Mercer: "Now heading east, the country goes: Ontario, Quebec, Snowbank" :D https://youtu.be/196OwW8vN5E
Bridget

DavePEI

Quote from: Bridie on April 01, 2015, 10:42:32 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on April 01, 2015, 09:17:27 PM

I saw a photo online of snow right up to someone's roof.  I'm pretty sure it was on PEI.  Yikes!
Did you see the photos I posted a couple of pages down of the road in front of our house? It was one lane for over a week until they could get a snowblower and plow to come down and finish the job. I can't remember a winter this bad. We still have 10-12 foot drifts along the road... schools after that storm were cancelled for over a week as they tried to get the bus routes safe enough for the kids. They say we have now had 17 feet of snow since winter began with a vengeance mid January!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

I can't believe you guys and girls are still getting snow! I enjoyed a beautiful, breezy 60 degree Wisconsin night!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DavePEI

Someone sent this to my FB page  :) I'd recognize him anywhere - Wiarton Willie Nelson
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bridie

Dave, I just went to have a look for your photos and WOW!!  :o   That's insane.  It's been freaky here in Halifax, walking along the sidewalks once they're cleared, as the snowbanks on either side were nearly as tall as me!  This is the most brutal winter we've had for many many years.  I hope it's a blip and not a sample of things to come.  I live in an apartment so don't have to shovel and take a bus so don't have to drive, so I've had it easier than most, but I'm really hating being unable to get out to do everyday things like shopping and visiting friends and family.  I'm finding there are very small windows of opportunity to get things done, so it's a mad dash to stock up on supplies for me and food and litter for the cats before the next storm hits.  How is your electricity holding up?  Have you lost power at all?  We've been lucky in Halifax, very few power outages and they haven't lasted long.
Bridget

DavePEI

Quote from: Bridie on April 02, 2015, 09:00:39 AM
  How is your electricity holding up?  Have you lost power at all?  We've been lucky in Halifax, very few power outages and they haven't lasted long.
For us, here, it has also been a matter of getting out while the getting is good. We stock up between storms, it seems, and for most of the storms we got, we only had one passable day to get out, so we took advantage of them...

We had one full week without mail, not because there was none, but because the road was impassable when the mail car tried to deliver We finally picked it up at the Post Office a week later, the first day where the roads were clear!

It may be a month before I can get into the museum -- I can't shovel because of my heart, and bad legs, and I don't even dare to ask Linda to shovel the way  :)

Actually, today is the first time I noticed brown snow all winter - for the rest of the winter, it hasn't stayed uncovered long enough to show the dirt!

Insofar as power is concerned, we were very lucky also. There are people who lost power several times, and for some, it took close to a week for the plows to get their roads open enough for power crews to get in. We lucked out - our power went out, I think it was the beginning of last week for about four hours, and then for another hour or two the following day, but it stayed on for the rest of the storms...

And like you, I can't remember as severe a winter.. Now it is quite a winter for Halifax/Dartmouth people to complain about the snow! Fortunately for you, it tends to be warmer there and you get less total accumulation, but it certainly has been an unusual year for you, too... Hopefully it is over. They are forecasting some snow for us for tonight now, changing over to rain during the day - hopefully there won't be too much of either! Winds from the south, and with the higher temps forecast tomorrow, it may help cut down the drifts somewhat!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

The worst winters we've had in the UK predate me, but I think the last one was in the 70s and was pretty much on-par with what's happening over there now, with everything just being a total whiteout, with fuel supplies stuck, and people snowed in their homes, there were a lot of deaths, but there was also a lot of british stubbornness with people digging their way out and getting to work and just getting on with life, despite being half-frozen without the various forms of heating used back then (coal, gas, paraffin, etc)...  :o

Wouldn't happen here today though, a light dusting causes an economic collapse (well, that's the way it seems when they report it on the news!!) and people abandoning all hope (and their cars) when they can't get places as fast as on a perfectly dry and clear day... ::)

DavePEI

One year ago today, on April 4th, I took this photo of Canada Geese in the Cove. While there seems to be a lot of snow in the photo, in reality, they were more interested in the bare fields in-between the drifts, feeding off the leftovers plowing in the fall left for them! 80% of the fields were snow free. There were literally hundreds lining that field, walking in a line across it, harvesting as they went!

This year, they couldn't find a place to land!

This just reminded me of a funny thing that happened years ago. I was walking to the back of the property on a dark night without a flashlight. All of a sudden, I heard a loud HONK! and the rustling of wings a foot or two from me. I might have scared the goose, but it scared the living daylights out of me!
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Okay, I'll go first this season. While I did see some snow on the map in the highest Rocky Mountains a few weeks ago, this seems to be where it gets deep over the coming months. This probably isn't hitting the ground, or sticking if so, but here it is, and heading your way, Dave . . .  ;)

Currently in the low 40's F (5 C) in Wisconsin, low 30s F (1 C) up north there.

DavePEI

Hi John:

Today's forecast on PEI is: "Oct 14 2015 – 6:30 a.m. Temperature 17 c., 62.6 f. Today..Mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers or drizzle this morning. Clearing this afternoon. Wind becoming southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 this morning. High 18 c., 64.4 f. UV index 3 or moderate. Tonight, partly cloudy. 30 percent chance of showers overnight. Wind southwest 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming northwest 20 overnight. Low 8 c., 46.3 f."

Truthfully, that is a warm spell - we are averaging around 12 deg. c. in the days now, and down to 5 deg. c. at night.

You guys down south can keep the snow and cold!  :)

Quote from: TelePlay on October 14, 2015, 01:37:20 AM
Okay, I'll go first this season. While I did see some snow on the map in the highest Rocky Mountains a few weeks ago, this seems to be where it gets deep over the coming months. This probably isn't hitting the ground, or sticking if so, but here it is, and heading your way, Dave . . .  ;)

Currently in the low 40's F (5 C) in Wisconsin, low 30s F (1 C) up north there.
C*NET 1-651-0001