News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

Here in Lawrence, Kansas, if it snows in October it is usually on Halloween.  It is Mother Nature playing a prank on us!

dsk

It is not easy to catch on a cellphone camera, -3 deg C
dsk

TelePlay

Took the hanging flowers in for the night. They predicted a hard freeze and they were right, for a change.

24 F (about -4.5 C) now.

And, seems to be light snow falling in central Wisconsin and parts of Michigan.

AE_Collector

Uh oh....no snow in PEI tomorrow. How am I going to recognize Dave's street and museum?

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 17, 2015, 07:38:30 PM
Uh oh....no snow in PEI tomorrow. How am I going to recognize Dave's street and museum?

Don't count on it! Forecast is: "Sunday..A few showers ending in the morning then mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40. High plus 5. Sunday night..Rain showers and flurries. Rainfall amount 5 mm. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40. Low plus 2."

Yuk! Hopefully it will turn out nicer than forecast! See you at 9 am!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

Today's 75 degree day started out at 42.  I took down the bimetallic thermometer and put up two decent alcohol/glass thermometers.  My temps are even accurate to the airports readings.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Still hot, 91 degrees, still green, still sunny. No snow in the forecast for South Florida. Very boring weather here!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on October 17, 2015, 08:18:17 PM
Don't count on it! Forecast is: "Sunday..A few showers ending in the morning then mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40. High plus 5.

Dave

It just got worse...captain just announced that we can't land at charlottetown today due to gusting wind and the liklihood of it getting worse through the day.

What we haven't mentioned here is that because we are doing back to back southbound and northbound cruises, we stopped at PEI 13 days ago and I briefly met Dave at the pier to transfer some phones to him just incase we weren't able to land on our next stop due to weather!

At least we got to meet AND I don't have to haul those phones back home on the airplane BUT it is disappointing to not get too see the museum first hand. We were email pals when you were just kicking around the idea of turning the old house into a telephone museum.

Terry

DavePEI

Caught me just in time before I left to pick you up, Terry. I am sorry you won't get to see the Museum, but at least after so many years, we did have the opportunity to at least finally meet on your previous stop here.

I checked the Marine forecast, and the entire Maritime region is in a warning zone:

"Today Tonight and Monday  Strong wind warning in effect. Wind variable 15 to 20 knots increasing to northwesterly 20 to 25 early this morning then diminishing to northwest 15 Monday afternoon. Chance of showers or flurries."

Have a safe voyage!  :'(
Quote from: AE_Collector on October 18, 2015, 06:40:30 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on October 17, 2015, 08:18:17 PM
Don't count on it! Forecast is: "Sunday..A few showers ending in the morning then mainly cloudy with 40 percent chance of showers. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40. High plus 5. Sunday night..Rain showers and flurries. Rainfall amount 5 mm. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40. Low plus 2."

Dave

It just got worse...captain just announced that we can't land at charlottetown today due to gusting wind and the liklihood of it getting worse through the day.

Terry
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I've heard via t'internet that there's snow in North Bay, Ontario, in October, in Autumn.......... :o

Canada's weird, I want to live there... ;D

AE_Collector

Come on over, just don't try to drive here in a twoCV...that would be wierd.

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 18, 2015, 07:42:52 AMjust don't try to drive here in a twoCV...that would be wierd.

You'd be surprised at how many 2CVs there are on the Canadian roads...  ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 18, 2015, 07:52:02 AM
Quote from: AE_Collector on October 18, 2015, 07:42:52 AMjust don't try to drive here in a twoCV...that would be wierd.

I think what Terry means if the ship doesn't want to land in Atlantic Canada today, that 2CVs might have even more trouble on the seas!  :)
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 18, 2015, 07:52:02 AM

Oh I know! Have seen several and always think of you now when I see one. But I always enjoy seeing any and all old cars out on roads, parking lots, garages etc.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 18, 2015, 07:29:10 AM
I've heard via t'internet that there's snow in North Bay, Ontario, in October, in Autumn..........

Yes, indeed. As I look out the window this morning, I see heavy frost on the roofs, car windows and leaves. There is no moisture in the air for if there were, we'd have snow on the ground this morning in Wisconsin.

Michigan gets snow first because of the southwest wind blowing over Lake Michigan. We usually have to wait for moisture from the Gulf of Mexico to make it up here (800 miles or so) for our heavy snows. But snow squalls continue north east of here all the way out toward Dave's area and there is snow cover in Canada. It's that Great Lakes thing that Buffalo, New York enjoys each year.