News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

Well, we are getting our first storm of the season in Colorado.  The winds on our ridge top are in the mid-40s to the mid-60s as I sit here.  Most of the snow is falling further north, and it doesn't usually snow a lot here as we are in the snow shadow of Pikes Peak.

The high winds drive the wind chill way down.  The static temperature is in the low 30s, but the wind chill last I checked was 5!

The sun is starting to come out and we are glad that we don't have to go out anywhere!  (Unless the fire department pager demands it.)

An hour or so ago (before the sun started to come out) there were some folks hiking to the top of a small mountain we see out our windows...winds in the mid-50s to mid 60s, snow, and they are out hiking!  Hearty folks, I'd say!

The house just got banged by a 67 mile per hour gust...well, make that a 69 mph gust!

Here is hoping the windows stay in place!

Nick

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Nick in Manitou

twocvbloke

We might be getting snow this weekend, might being the operative word as we may not, but the temperatures are set to drop below freezing so, could happen, we shall see though... ;D

Also supposed to be getting battered by 80mph gusts here too, but so far it's only lightly breezy, dunno if the winds have missed blowing round here, or are just a mis-prediction... ???

Nick in Manitou

Bloke, I hope that you have not been blown away.

I came out to my desk this morning after the winds picked up again just before dawn and checked what the weather station display, it was saying...53 with a peak of 70.  I checked it again about an hour later and it said the exact same thing(?).

About an hour later when it was still reading the same speed and direction, it finally dawned on me to venture outside and look up...I don't know where it went...or when it went...but it is not on the mast where it was!

Once the the wind dies, I will climb up on the roof to see if it is still up there somewhere, or if I can see down the hillsides where it might have blown to.  I didn't really like this weather station, but the one I wanted was quite a bit more expensive.  I hope I can retrieve this one and make it work again! - - - If not, maybe I should make a lamp out of it!

Nick

19and41

A big storm front is moving through right now and there was a LOUD clap of thunder with it.  Just after I got my convertible all dried out.  It is reported a tornado has touched down in somewhere in the area.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Nick in Manitou

Quote from: 19and41 on November 18, 2015, 05:47:34 PM
Just after I got my convertible all dried out. 

19and41, I think you are supposed to put the top UP when it is going to rain...or tornado...!

(Question...are you a 1941 model or is the car, or is it just near where you live?)

Nick

19and41

It's for U.S. highways 19 and 41,  The old Dixie Highway to Florida.  The top's up but it still gets excessively humid unless the HVAC is on.
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

We got our first touch of snow for this year this morning. Only a skiff on the ground, which melted as the sun came up, but we got a few flurries throughout the day - still no accumulation  :)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

And how is the wind now that cruise season is over? :(

We had enough wind here yesterday to keep cruise ships away had any thought of trying to dock in Vancouver. It did keep the power away from a significant number of homes.

Terry

twocvbloke

Time to dust off the mantle lamps and battery operated illumination thingumies then, well, not for me, keep using my Aladdin lamp as a heater as this house has more holes than the Titanic when it comes to keeping the heat in... ;D

That said, round these parts, lack of electricity is a rare thing, last time there was a proper powercut was when they were replacing some rotten wood poles that hold the power lines up, and that wasn't for very long, seems the grid here is just too reliable... ???

But then again, our weather's quite tame here compared to across the pond... ;D

dsk

The second time we get a thin layer of white powder this winter. (bad pictures taken from the bus early this morning)
Old people say the snow doesent stay before the third time it snows.  (I'm still only 52) 
We haven't had a long powerout for years at my side of the wally.

dsk

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 19, 2015, 01:46:51 AM
And how is the wind now that cruise season is over? :(

We had enough wind here yesterday to keep cruise ships away had any thought of trying to dock in Vancouver. It did keep the power away from a significant number of homes.

Hi Terry: Well most days it has been fairly calm. I guess there have been a few days ships wouldn't have landed, and even one night where the Wood Island ferry couldn't land for hours - a pretty scary time for its passengers - the lower decks were kept awash in water as it made its way through the seas.

As it was  the day of your second aborted landing, it often is un-noticeable on land, while the marine forecasts show gales. Today is cloudy, starting out at a little above freezing, and later becoming plus 5 c., and dropping back down to plus 2 c., tonight, so the temperature has recovered somewhat. It tried hard to accumulate some snow yesterday, but if failed, except momentarily!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WEBellSystemChristian

It's officially snowing for the first time of the season in Southeastern Wisconsin tonight. We are expected to get several inches overnight. Stay tuned!!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford