News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

Oh I wish we had some of that moisture, in sunny Southern California it was 81 degrees today.  Oh well, it gives me more time to play golf.  They say El Nino will come, they have been promising it will come on October, then November. It has not come yet. I'm beginning to believe it will NOT happen.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 20, 2015, 08:58:55 PM
It's officially snowing for the first time of the season in Southeastern Wisconsin tonight. We are expected to get several inches overnight. Stay tuned!!!

According to the current weather radar maps, it's snowing like crazy here. They are predicting 6-9 inches in 12 hours. These images show the snow in blue and rain (in green) over Lake Michigan (warm water) and then blue over Michigan as the "snow" moves east.

While the maps make it look like heavy snow, it must not be hitting the ground. Can only see a few flakes in the air. We will have our first snow fall but I doubt the media predicted snowmageddon hyped all day.

TelePlay

Well, 2:30 AM local time and it seems the media hyped snowmageddon event is half passed my location so we will get another 8 to 10 hours of gentle snow flurries. Enough so far to stick on the grass but not the warmer concrete sidewalks or paved streets. Really quite nice outside right now in our first snow event of the year.

twocvbloke

We had our snow this morning, dropped about 2" of snow, now mostly melted, but some has partially frozen into a rather precarious icy mess... :o

Which is really not good for my back right now (very painful lower back at the moment), not that I care... 8)

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's a view from my window right now. There was no snow on the ground at about 8:00 last night.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DavePEI

Aw, you poor fellows. Despite out little skiff of snow the other day, here which pretty well went as it fell, it has warmed up and no further white at all. It is 8 deg. c. already today, and above normal forecast for the next couple of days. But it is certain to come someday! I truly hate winter!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Looking at the weather for tonight, we might be getting a little more wintery stuff, though tomorrow's midday temperatures guarantee that it''l be melted before lunchtime, and after that it's back to being the same ol' soggy britain... ;D

TelePlay

Quote from: DavePEI on November 21, 2015, 08:17:07 AM
Aw, you poor fellows. Despite out little skiff of snow the other day, here which pretty well went as it fell, it has warmed up and no further white at all. It is 8 deg. c. already today, and above normal forecast for the next couple of days. But it is certain to come someday! I truly hate winter!

Just finished shoveling. About 2 inches. Bottom  inch was wet, heavy slush, top inch was powder. Temperatures are dropping. -4C now going down to -11C tonight. Had to get the slush off before it froze onto the surface. Still snowing. Will have to shovel another inch of powder when it quits snowing in a couple of hours. Not predicted to get above freezing until this coming Thursday.

dsk

It is like medicine to come out, so these pictures are from today's trip in the woods. The ice was between close to2 inch thick here, but I did not try to walk on it.  Open water some places. And you may even observe my Canadian Coleman 550b stove.

dsk

HarrySmith

We have not had any snow but a cold front came through last weekend and another is scheduled to move through tomorrow. Our nighttime temps actually got into the low 70's!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 21, 2015, 02:53:52 PM
We have not had any snow but a cold front came through last weekend and another is scheduled to move through tomorrow. Our nighttime temps actually got into the low 70's!!
...well our daytime temps are in the mid 20s! ::)

The snow is still coming down, and we have at least 3 or 4 inches right now.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

It's nice there are those who like the wintertime.  It's wasted on me though.  I think I would prefer living in the desert.  It's great to see the pictures from all over.  It reminds me of when I lived up north.
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

For Terry: Northumberland Ferries canceled Sunday A.M. Due to gales:

"Northumberland Ferries Ltd. has resumed crossings between P.E.I. and Nova Scotia Sunday afternoon after rough seas cancelled service earlier in the day.
There are usually four scheduled crossings from each side at this time of year.
Environment Canada gale warning that was issued for the Northumberland Strait Sunday morning is still in effect."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/northumberland-ferries-cancelled-winds-1.3330046

A few weeks ago there was a night time crossing where passengers were treated to lower decks being awash with surf as she made her way across. No danger, but I guess it was a wild ride!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke