News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Is that the ferry that lands at Wood Island Dave?

A few years ago a ferry capsized leaving from Dover (I think?). They determined that they set off before the front doors were closed and wound up scooping up quite a bit of water due to rough seas. Just a few inches of water over the entire deck sloshing from one side to the other flipped the ferry very quickly.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 22, 2015, 08:39:31 PM
Is that the ferry that lands at Wood Island Dave?

A few years ago a ferry capsized leaving from Dover (I think?). They determined that they set off before the front doors were closed and wound up scooping up quite a bit of water due to rough seas. Just a few inches of water over the entire deck sloshing from one side to the other flipped the ferry very quickly.

Terry

Yes it is the Wood Islands Ferry. But it is designed for it, and she has been sailing over 20 years in seas like that. But now if they know in advance they will cancel the run because of passenger comfort. She was in some amazing seas that night - waves washing over the sides, but no problem. Just enough to make passengers a bit nervous :-)

Between waves, the water sloshed out the side vents as she was designed to do.

Passengers aren't allow to stay on the car level during sailing - they ride a couple of decks above. But I saw video of it, and though I have been on the ferry many times, I know I would have been nervous!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Thought you would get a kick out of our weather today. The Frozen North?

Nov 23 2015 – 8:30 a.m. 17 c., 62.6 f. Rainfall warning in effect. Today, rain at times heavy. Amount 40 mm. Fog patches dissipating this afternoon. Wind east 20 km/h becoming south 40 gusting to 70 this morning then northwest 30 gusting to 50 this afternoon. High 15 c., 59 f. Tonight, rain changing to flurries near midnight. Rainfall amount 5 mm. Wind northwest 30 km/h gusting to 50. Low zero c., 32 f.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

29.8 F and clear this morning in Georgia.  Scrambled weather out today!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

An interesting snow cover map as of today. You can see how the storm tracked from the South Dakots - Nebraska state line east through Iowa and Wisconsin and then taking a turn to the north west over Michigan before continuing on and sliding into Canada a bit north of Toronto. The ground was warm so the snow turned to slush before solidly freezing to whatever it was on overnight (my car for one!)

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on November 23, 2015, 08:45:20 AM
An interesting snow cover map as of today. You can see how the storm tracked from the South Dakots - Nebraska state line east through Iowa and Wisconsin and then taking a turn to the north west over Michigan before continuing on and sliding into Canada a bit north of Toronto. The ground was warm so the snow turned to slush before solidly freezing to whatever it was on overnight (my car for one!)

Remember the horrible cycle the snow was moving in early this year John? It snowed for a day or so, froze overnight, then the following day would melt the snow to slush, then would freeze that night. It would stay a sloppy, icy mess for a day or so, then would snow, and the whole cycle would repeat over and over for months on end!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

NorthernElectric

Quote from: DavePEI on November 23, 2015, 07:17:13 AM
Thought you would get a kick out of our weather today. The Frozen North?

Nov 23 2015 – 8:30 a.m. 17 c., 62.6 f...

Not all of us in the 'Frozen North' are so lucky Dave.  I'm in that area that John referred to as 'a bit north of Toronto'.   :(

Shouldn't complain I guess.  Many years there is way more snow on the ground than this by this time, and here to stay for the duration of the winter.  If the forecast holds, this will probably melt by the weekend.
Cliff

DavePEI

Quote from: NorthernElectric on November 23, 2015, 12:27:49 PM

Not all of us in the 'Frozen North' are so lucky Dave.  I'm in that area that John referred to as 'a bit north of Toronto'.   :(

Yes, but tonight we are supposed to get into the colder track. Very strong winds now, and it is supposed to flurry tonight and tomorrow, with tomorrows high of minus 2! Irt is now down to 8 deg. c., and I wouldn't be surprised if we lose a tree today - our little grove of spruce trees at the back of the property is doing some terrific swaying in the wind. Then back into the slightly warmer weather on Wednesday!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

Complete chaos on the roads today, several days of -10 deg C and rain during night.

dsk

19and41

It almost is painful reading about the weather moving in.  One nice thing I saw on the streets last night are the Christmas lights starting to appear here and there.  I guess i'll be getting out the LED's shortly.
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 24, 2015, 08:26:53 PM
Today's weather map.

Harry, you have my sympathy . . .

Anyway, at first light this morning, I've discovered the 5 inches of snow we got last Friday is all gone. 50 degrees F and light rain over night melted it all away, but I still have the back ache from shoveling it.

This is the radar map for today. The "moisture" is moving from the south west to the north east so it looks like at least a 24 hour rain fall, at least down here in southeast Wisconsin, with the snow/freezing rain line staying out west.

19and41

The daytime temperatures have gotten into the 70's.  The A/C where I work has failed and it is 79 in here.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Quote from: 19and41 on November 30, 2015, 04:01:41 PM
The daytime temperatures have gotten into the 70's.  The A/C where I work has failed and it is 79 in here.

Oh my, you're going to melt. It's not good to work in that much heat. You better get out of there and go home. ;D

DavePEI

Hi All:

Time for me to bring you up to date on what is happening currently on PEI.

Thursday, an inebriated driver drove into one off the main electrical transmission towers which serves the eastern end of PEI, collapsing it; the first in a chain of events which has affected us all on this end of PEI since then. The driver left the scene, but was apprehended later.

Power then was off for a little over 6 hours, while they repaired the tower and got power back on, here the outage lasted from 5:30 a.m. until 1.10 p.m.

When it finally came back on, I discovered our DSL modem had been toasted by the event, and it was well into Friday morning before Bell-Aliant got here to replace the modem. Bad enough to be without power for 6 hours +, but then to be without Internet after for 24 hours+!

Then Thursday night/Friday morning, a fast moving storm deposited ice on the lines, taking down power to well over 1/3 of the Island. So, back in the dark for us, though not as long as for some. Some are still in the dark.

Since then, our power had bounced on and off a total of nine times!

Unrelated to that was a fire at Bell-Aliant on North Street in Halifax knocked out 211, 311, 411, 511 and 911 information lines to over 140,000 Bell Aliant customers in Nova Scotia and P.E.I. This has since been resolved, but not a good time for these services to go down following the storm! http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/telephone-network-problems-bell-aliant-1.3349292

Here, not a huge amount of snow - much fell as freezing rain, but the further west on the Island you go, the higher percentage fell as snow. We are left with icy roads, and a couple of cm. of snow on the ground, much of which should melt today.
C*NET 1-651-0001