News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Quote from: 19and41 on December 05, 2015, 08:32:27 AM
Such damage, for the sake of a few drinks.
Yea, well he didn't cause the subsequent storm, but sure began the sequence of events which led to a few really inconvenient days for Islanders! I understand though he left the scene they got him quickly afterwards, and I hope they throw the book at him. Imagine the cost of replacing one of those towers and replacing the lines, not to mention the loss of revenue and inconvenience to at least a third of the province! The storm after was an act of God, but the first extended outage was the result of one man who shouldn't have been driving.

Update from CBC on the power restoration resulting from the subsequent storm:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-nb-power-electricty-1.3351890
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Snow fell today here, about 4", bus drivers felt the need to stay at home and strand people who had been out shopping (myself included), left Ikea at about 3:30pm, got home at about 7:30pm, to travel 20 miles, on a bus, in 4" of snow........... ::)

Still, glad I wasn't on this particular bus, same route I was on when leaving to go to Ikea:

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/story/2015-12-12/double-decker-bus-catches-fire-with-passengers-reportedly-inside/

:o

Mr. Bones

Glad you're ok, bloke!

Looks like the bus is no more...

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

twocvbloke

Yep, one more unreliable junk heap of a bus off the road, those double-deckers are just deathtraps, really have been put off them over these past couple of years, they overheat in 15 degree weather, they break down all the time, they leak, they smell, they are uncomfortable, they're loud, and if you're really unlucky, they do what that one did and catch fire... ::)

I prefer the Mercedes Benz Citaro buses, much nicer vehicles, but they've been moved to different routes... ::)

DavePEI

Its Squatch season here again, at least once some snow falls and stays. I got my license today! Gonna find me a real woman!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 12, 2015, 04:04:08 PM
Yep, one more unreliable junk heap of a bus off the road, those double-deckers are just deathtraps, really have been put off them over these past couple of years, they overheat in 15 degree weather, they break down all the time, they leak, they smell, they are uncomfortable, they're loud, and if you're really unlucky, they do what that one did and catch fire... ::)

I prefer the Mercedes Benz Citaro buses, much nicer vehicles, but they've been moved to different routes... ::)

Are the d/d's  Diesel or gasoline powered?  Our buses in the authority I work for are compressed natural gas powered.  They don't seem to light very easily, but when they backfire!!!
— Arthur C. Clarke

Buzby

Quote from: 19and41 on December 12, 2015, 06:38:51 PM
Quote from: twocvbloke on December 12, 2015, 04:04:08 PM

Are the d/d's  Diesel or gasoline powered?  Our buses in the authority I work for are compressed natural gas powered.  They don't seem to light very easily, but when they backfire!!!

They used to all be diesel, and I assume that's still the same. It's on a rural route, so no real need for city based green credentials.

ETA:

Seems to be a straight diesel engine, and diesel burns like a bugger. Bus is a Dennis Trident. Here is a picture of the bus before its sad demise*.

*Image is being used to comment on current news and is being reproduced under the notion of Fair Use. Copyright is attributed to owner of image.

Buzby

......Meanwhile, here in Rhode Island, car tops are down and I'm running around in the garden like a big girl as I'm being chased by wasps and hornets.

Fabius

Reached 63 F in Northern Indiana. We are all running around in our Daisy Duke shorts and tank tops. Who said that Global Warming is all bad?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

DNO

Yesterday in Toronto it was a record breaking 14C.  Last year, on the same day, the high was -3C and we had a snow fall of 17 cm.  I think I prefer this year's weather, although I can't help but feel that we'll pay for this later!
David

19and41

Quote from: DNO on December 12, 2015, 09:15:48 PM
Yesterday in Toronto it was a record breaking 14C.  Last year, on the same day, the high was -3C and we had a snow fall of 17 cm.  I think I prefer this year's weather, although I can't help but feel that we'll pay for this later!

My sentiments exactly...  but it will be 52 F Christmas day.  I used to live in Michigan, I can live with this as long as it comes.  ;D
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Quote from: 19and41 on December 12, 2015, 06:38:51 PMAre the d/d's  Diesel or gasoline powered?  Our buses in the authority I work for are compressed natural gas powered.  They don't seem to light very easily, but when they backfire!!!

That particular one was Diesel powered (easy way to tell is it was still chugging along even when the electrics were burning), 4-Stroke diesel rather than the 2-strokers that are popular over that side of the pond, some of the better double-deckers owned by Go North East are hybrids (prius-style rather than proper Diesel-Electric traction like trains), and I think some of them are even LPG or CNG powered...

Quote from: Buzby on December 12, 2015, 06:58:07 PMBus is a Dennis Trident.

That explains it, most of the Dennis buses are scrap, they used to have a load of Dennis Darts on similar routes but recently scrapped the lot as they were just as unreliable (and falling to bits too, I remember being on one about three years ago where one of the doors decided to not be a part of the lower hinge assembly so was flapping in the breeze!!), I miss the old Leyland buses, my not have had great engines or transmissions, but they just kept on going, especially when they were upgraded with volvo engines...