News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

We had good news from our storm yesterday. We remained warmer than forecast here, and the end result was a nasty day, alternating between freezing rain, Ice Crystals, rain, and little snow.

Yes, we have about an inch of snow on the ground over a very icy base, but other than a 10 minute spell at 6 pm last night, the power stayed on, with some power bumps during the peak of the storm. One warm day will clear it all away.

The temps here remained above zero c. (freezing point), and while the wind whipped and stirred it around a good little bit, for all the blowing and hype, it turned into almost a non-event. The further west on PEI one lived, the colder it was with increasing amounts of snow for those areas!

So, given some warm days in the forecast, we are still in the running for a green Christmas!

I'm Dreaming of a Green Christmas!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

I saw an interesting chart on the local CBC site today. As you know, we had one of the worst winters in History here last year, with over 19 feet of snow falling. BUT, Christmas Day last year was 100% green. The snow didn't start in earnest until mid-January, and from then on, we had a major snowstorm every two days.

Update: Today (Dec. 18) was 10 deg. c. and all the snow which fell the other day is now gone. Still on track for a green Christmas this year. Forecasts for Christmas day show similar temps! The odds of our having a green Xmas are getting better!

But here are the Christmas stats for the past 20 years (50/50)
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

Mr. Bones

19and41: I hope that you're at least elevated enough to keep your powder dry. If not, I strongly suggest an altitude adjustment. ;)

You will remain in my thoughts as this storm slowly drags its arse across your AO. BTDT. :o

Happy holidays, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

HarrySmith

The local weather report I saw this morning informed me today was the first day of winter!
No snow in the forecast and the temp on Christmas day is forecasted to be 84-85 degrees!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

We had a lightning stroke take down power around our facility and we had to go on generator power for about an hour.  It should be freezing to 40 degrees this time of year.
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

We escaped from the green areas to Lillehammer, the pics are from Christmas eve.
During the evening, everything was washed away by the rain, but we had a perfect Christmas eve.
(this is when we celebrates in Norway)

dsk

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Yup, pholks, it is again a pure green Christmas on PEI! Rain most of yesterday, temps around 10c, and today sunny, with temps around 6 deg. c., 42.8 f. Santa delivered using a Sea-doo. Great for travelling! It is set to cool down in the next few days, but now in the last 21 Christmases, we have had 11 green ones!
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

65.3F this morning .  The rain has eased off and The birds and squirrels have come out and I can hear one singing. 
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

Not nearly that warm here.  No snow here in Lawrence, Kansas either.  We do, however, have fog.  That is about it.

Buzby

My thermometer is a hair under 62°, and I'm in shorts and a t-shirt as I enjoy a Christmas drink under the warmth of the sun here in New England.

Doug Rose

Agreed ......63 in Framingham, although there are no shorts....but a glass of Christmas Cheer....or two.  ::)

Merry Christmas to all my friends on the Forum....Doug
Kidphone