News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on December 25, 2015, 05:44:58 AM
Yup, pholks, it is again a pure green Christmas on PEI! Rain most of yesterday, temps around 10c, and today sunny, with temps around 6 deg. c., 42.8 f. Santa delivered using a Sea-doo. Great for travelling!

Sorry you are having such a boring Christmas there as far as the weather is concerned Dave. Just to make things feel a bit more seasonal for you, here is a flashback......

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 26, 2015, 12:54:37 AM
Sorry you are having such a boring Christmas there as far as the weather is concerned Dave. Just to make things feel a bit more seasonal for you, here is a flashback......

Terry, I remember that picture the first time around.

Over the past two weeks here in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. we have had 23 inches of snow. Fortunately, or unfortunately for some, it fell in its liquid form and either ran downhill or just soaked in somewhere. That would be about two and a half inches of rain in 14 days and my snow blower is still sitting in its storage shed, all ready to go, but it doesn't work well with water.

The freeze line of every storm that came through so far, except for one in early November when we got about 4 inches of snow, has stayed 100 miles to the north of here. A friend in northern Wisconsin has about a half foot on the ground today. But, then, they are so far north they have snow on the ground every day of the year except for 2 or 3 in mid July when they send their winter parkas to the dry cleaners and can get away wearing  their summer parkas for those few days of summer.

I have no doubt my snow blower will come in handy next year, January through half of March.

DavePEI

Just want to show you the horrible Winter weather we are getting on Boxing Day 2015.....
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Buzby

Quote from: DavePEI on December 26, 2015, 06:13:32 PM
Just want to show you the horrible Winter weather we are getting on Boxing Day 2015.....

It always gets worse on Boxing Day.

That must be at least a couple of inches of grass you've had there.  ;)

DavePEI

Quote from: Buzby on December 26, 2015, 07:57:47 PM

It always gets worse on Boxing Day.

That must be at least a couple of inches of grass you've had there.  ;)
We almost broke out the lawn mower! :)
C*NET 1-651-0001

TelePlay

Quote from: DavePEI on December 26, 2015, 06:13:32 PM

Dave,

How about now, the day after Boxing Day? Got snow tonight?

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on December 27, 2015, 07:20:32 PM

Dave,

Yep! Snow started this morning, and we have a few cm. down on the ground now.. Not too bad, though!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Buzby

Quote from: DavePEI on December 27, 2015, 07:52:44 PM
Quote from: TelePlay on December 27, 2015, 07:20:32 PM

Dave,

Yep! Snow started this morning, and we have a few cm. down on the ground now.. Not too bad, though!

That's got you out of mowing that lawn.  ;)

dsk

We got a tiny white layer yesterday, but as a relative said, let the cat out and sneeze at the stairs and its free ow snow :-)
dsk

TelePlay

SNOW DAY!

Watching the local TV stations all day yesterday, one would think we were on the brink of extinction. Well, maybe we are but the over-snow-cast was near unbearable. They said it would start at 6:00 AM. Well, it's 9 AM and just light snow with wind blowing it around. What you see below is moving due north so whatever snow we get this morning may be washed away this afternoon.

I'm on the north edge of the blue right now as the snow approached Milwaukee.

Well, looks like contrary to what the TV weather bobble heads are saying, we have a good chance of still being around tomorrow. They tell us to expect the worse rather than report what has happened - not worth watching, at least not without a bottle of Jack handy.

TelePlay

Wow, the weather bobbleheads were wrong, again. All day yesterday, about every 2-3 hours, they revised the anticipated snow fall - UP!!!

They were guessing 1-3" in my area. Wrong! Had to get the snowblower out 3 times yesterday and once again this morning after it quit for good.

So, the map on the left shows snow cover at 7 AM Monday morning; the map on the right show snow cover at 7 AM Tuesday morning.

On the left, Milwaukee is brown, no snow. On the right, Milwaukee is purple, the 16" to 24" snow cover range. Yup, the weather geeks were wrong, again (but they still got paid).

WEBellSystemChristian

I remember 1-3 inches was predicted, but we ended up getting something like 6 or 7! I was going to snowblow yesterday, but a pulley driving the auger was shot, and we had to buy a replacement this morning. My dad pulled out his 1950 Ford 8N last night and plowed enough to get by for a day. I'll have to polish out the rest of the driveway with the fixed snowblower tomorrow.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

dsk

At the edge between snow and rain today.
dsk

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke