News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

My dad got a drone for Christmas, and he's spend the better part of the time since Christmas giving it test flights. It records 2.7k video, and takes high-res pictures as well. He decided to fly it today after our first real snowstorm of the season, and it took some really good pictures and video at over 500 feet above our house!

Here are some pictures, which may be compressed after being uploaded through the forum. You can see one facing south, and another facing northeast.

The videos look twice as good! My sister was watching some kids again, and you can see them running around with the dogs.

https://youtu.be/N6Fv50iA5M4

https://youtu.be/gzaftvszZyY
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

compubit

Cool videos! I'd love a drone, but living "inside the beltway", most of the airspace is restricted...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: compubit on December 30, 2015, 06:21:28 PM
Cool videos! I'd love a drone, but living "inside the beltway", most of the airspace is restricted...

Jim
Thanks!

It would still be interesting for out-of-state road trips or vacations. Not much to film around here during the winter, but it should be interesting in spring and summer!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Remember my set of photos taken on Dec. 26th? Here it is 5 days later....
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

dsk

Strange colors here in Hakadal, Norway today.

dsk

twocvbloke

Just lots of rain here in the UK, a lot of places flooded out too, one of the benefits to living on a hill, but gotta feel sorry for those who have been flooded out over christmas & new year...

dsk

We have had some days with as low as -20 deg C  (-4F) but today the sun was bright and when we went out it was -10 (14F) and still raising. The first pictures from the woods. (My first trip with snowshoes this winter) and the last 2  a view from our house. It has been to cold for outdoors life lately, so I had to compensate, and make lunch on our  (And Norway's only) Coleman 426B white gas stove.  A great feeling.    ;)

dsk

Nick in Manitou

DSK, those are some beautiful photos, and it looks like a great place to go snowshoeing.

A few weeks ago there was a prediction in our area of "snow showers" and as I came down the mountain from the upper part of our neighborhood, it was pretty obvious that the southern part of Colorado Springs was getting a pretty hefty snow fall while the folks on the northern end of town were getting nothing at all.

My cell phone camera is not much of a camera (it is not much of a cell phone either!), but it was all I had on me at the time, and I thought it was worth trying to capture.

Nick

19and41

Beautiful pics, each of you.  It was sunny and into the 50s today here and I got to take the lights down and use the mower to mulch the leaves that were left and strung a outdoor antenna for my console radio.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

compubit

It was sunny and (according to the car thermometer) 82 here in Melbourne, Florida. (Miserable for me inJanuary...)

I should be heading home to DC, but work got in the way...  Now it's Tuesday...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

AE_Collector

Hmmm, no new updates here...

Maybe everyone in the east has no power today & phone lines/internet is down?

Terry

dsk

twocvbloke

jsowers

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 22, 2016, 11:43:01 AM
Hmmm, no new updates here...

Maybe everyone in the east has no power today & phone lines/internet is down?

Terry

No, Terry, it's a big fat dud so far and not picture-worthy. All that snow the TV forecasters were calling for in the Piedmont Triad part of NC failed to materialize and we got maybe an inch or two of snow, followed by sleet and freezing rain. Not many power outages yet, but I have that eventuality taken care of, just in case it happens.

My power was off Wednesday afternoon while Duke Energy trimmed trees leading to the neighbor across the street's house, next to her power lines. I got my trusty charged up XP laptop out and hooked up the phone line and my dialup account still works! I got broadband in November and one of the reasons I stayed so long with dialup is the previous ISP, the local Telco, took it away after promising I could have both. It only happened because I changed my appointment date. I kept my analog phone line too since I don't own a cell phone. So everything worked slowly, but it worked.

I hope the storm is the same dud when it gets to Virginia and Washington, DC where a foot of snow has been predicted. Let it NOT snow.
Jonathan