News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Fabius

Quote from: compubit on January 22, 2016, 03:56:45 PM
so far about 2-3 cm here in the DC area (South Arlington).

2-3 cm? Are you talking about cell signal strength? cm = cellular modulation?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

DavePEI

Last year: "48 cm of snow so far in this weekend's blizzard on PEI. Roads, most businesses, and the Confederation Bridge are completely closed, and the storm continues on with very high winds, snow and blowing snow, and plows are off the roads due to lack of visibility. Once again, our car is gone, and our truck barely visible."

This year: err, where's the lawn mower?

First photo - our driveway

2nd photo: the last remaining snow on the property, the remnants of the pile where we have been shoving all the snow this year! That Little lump of snow was 6 feet high last week.

Sigh. I am sure there will be more before spring is really here!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

I can live with a gentle winter quite nicely, thank you.   ;)
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

Here in Kansas, there can be snow on April 1st.  It is Mother Nature's way of playing an April Fools Day joke on us.  Fortunately, the snow is gone the next day!

19and41

I was stationed at Ft. Riley for 3 1/2 years,  I agree the weather can be tough.  Especially camping out in it.   ;)
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I just checked next weeks forecast.  79F here Thursday.  I can only hope it isn't proportionately hotter this next summer.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Phonesrfun

Tonight, March 5th at 11:20pm in SE Washington State, I have 68 degrees.  Weird.  Also 40 mph winds tonight.
-Bill G

19and41

This is just a strange winter.  The birds and beasts are having a party though.  They don't look for the catch, they just take it as it comes.    :D
— Arthur C. Clarke

Contempra

WesternElectricBen

58° today in Minnesota, I even scored a ride in a 1930 T bucket coupe with a 327 Chevy engine from the neighbor.

Ben

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on March 06, 2016, 10:34:13 PM
58° today in Minnesota, I even scored a ride in a 1930 T bucket coupe with a 327 Chevy engine from the neighbor.

Ben

Now that's a car I'd like to see a picture of.  :)

Doug

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on March 06, 2016, 08:47:55 AM
This is just a strange winter.  The birds and beasts are having a party though.  They don't look for the catch, they just take it as it comes.    :D

Yes it is, a bit on the warm side thanks to the jet stream and whatever else kept the cold and snow to the north, but I still have strong memories of winter a few years ago when it was below zero for weeks in a row and Lake Michigan froze over on calm mornings. And then a few years before that when we got a record snow fall and the snow blower came out several times a week. So, on average, I guess everything is normal. Even DavePEI got a break after last year's dumpers.

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on March 08, 2016, 07:35:26 AM
Even DavePEI got a break after last year's dumpers.
Sure did! Even though we got a nit of a snow/wind event last weekend, it was minor, and we are pretty well back in a snow free condition again.

Even the wildlife predicted the weather. While we usually have Black Ducks who over-winter, a large number of Canada Geese stayed over winter, and they normally abandon us for the warmer south! Those that did go are migrating North now, about a month earlier than normal!

Just for fun, here is a photo we took in the midst of Saturday's storm of the geese foraging in a field near here. Thankfully, all that snow in the photo is gone today, and if I wasn't too lazy to go out, I could take a photo of a flock right across the road from our house!

It is funny, they work a field in a line, working their way from one end to the other harvesting whatever they can find.

Second photo taken through the front window of our house, but they are too far across the field to see well. [Wharf Rat is my personal watermark derived from the Wharf Rat van I built Mom and Dad in the late 70s and also nearby Brush Wharf]
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on March 08, 2016, 10:24:26 AM
a large number of Canada Geese stayed over winter, and they normally abandon us for the warmer south! Those that did go are migrating North now, about a month earlier than normal!i

Yes the high exchange rate between the US and Cdn $ is messing up the winter plans of many Canadians. And the cost of fruit and vegetables that we import from warmer climates (such as the southern US) through our winter is making it expensive to live at home as well. Good to see that us Canadian humans aren't the only ones who just dont know which way to turn.

Terry