News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

The august TV weather bobble heads got it wrong again, predicted 9-12" and about 4" on the ground right now.

Opened up the back door with shovel in hand to find what looked like 1" was really 4" so I thought I'd better get the snow thrower going, but she was comfy in bed and said no way - so, I fired up the snow blower which worked well, as usual.

This covering won't melt away like our first snow a bit more than  a week ago.

19and41

Wekk for you frosty types, it looks like the battle is joined, now
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

No ice or snow predicted for where I live for at least two weeks, probably won't see any 'til the new year, just seems to be hovering at around 2 to 8 degrees celsius, too warm for anything fun to happen, just lots of rain, which makes everything muddy and damp, and the back door on the house swell up so it's hard to open or shut so I can't get to my shed to play in it...  :(

Nick in Manitou

Well, for us as we begin to experience our first "winter" here in Tucson, Arizona...it is a bit strange.  Having moved from a home at over 7,000 ft (2,122 m) altitude in Colorado we are really at a loss for what to expect.  Folks tell us that it gets cold here - like down into the 50s some days!

I must admit that we had visions of swimming at Christmas - but that is not going to happen.  It is generally in the mid-60s to lower 70s during the day at this point and we have had at least one night where there was a light frost.  But the roses are getting ready to bloom (again) and sitting out in the sun with a cup of coffee in the late morning is a nice alternative to what folks in our old neighborhood in Colorado are doing right now (having had several real snows already).

I have used a light jacket a few times, but I haven't regretted giving away my insulated coveralls yet.

Of course, when the folks in Colorado are enjoying a pleasant 80 degree mountain day in August, we will be looking for air conditioning and trying to avoid going out into the 117 degree afternoon.

It is an adventure.

Nick in Manitou (now in Tucson) 

WEBellSystemChristian

Here's some more snow fun!

It's been snowing here, practically as a blizzard, for about 24 hours. I needed to open the hood of my truck. I open the door, pull the hood release, and heard nothing, no 'clunk'. There was so much snow on the hood that the spring was weighed down, and it was so heavy that I couldn't even open it! This is how it looked after scraping all the snow off: ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Quote from: DavePEI on November 06, 2016, 08:29:33 AM
We took a vote, and no-one wants it this year. None so far, any way....

Shouldn't have taken that vote. Just like getting rain a hour after washing a car . . .  ;)

AE_Collector

Okay, my turn. Yes I am in Canada, the Great White North but, we don't get much snow here in the Greater Vancouver area except up in the mountains just to the north (and not even there in years when we have the Winter Olympics like 2010).

But, a week ago today it started snowing. We got 3-4 inches and then a few days without any more but unusually cold weather (for here) meant it stayed just below freezing so nothing melted. Then Friday another 4", then 3" more over night and some more Sunday night.

So I have already broken and repaired the snow shovel and Iyar brand new Honda CR-V now lives on the street instead of in the garage since we have a STEEP driveway.

Here are some pictures. I rarely gave security issues posting pictures but upside down or sideways is easy to do. Anyvtime I have resaved pics to try again gets me nowhere (help....how do you fix this?)

1- neighbours house out our window during the first snow fall.

2- usually the cat is "let me out". Now he has learned "let me in"!

3- looking up the driveway

4- looking up the stairs!

5- Either someone was walking through our back yard in bare feet if we've got bears. (bears win).

6- Table against the house in back yard

Looking forward they are starting to say we may have a white Christmas this year.

Terry

Phonesrfun

Neighbor's house out the window.  Before the photo gets flipped, it's a wonder that the snow doesn't fall off with the house upside-down. 

Hey Terry, we have about 3-5 inches depending on which side of town....  Walla Walla, WA for me, for those that don't know...  I think we are going to get pretty cold.  My cohorts at one of our offices in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island tell me it has been cold there too.

-Bill

-Bill G

Corrected your pictures Sir. Now what was that about BEARS in your yard!

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 13, 2016, 01:15:21 AM
Okay, my turn. Yes I am in Canada, the Great White North but, we don't get much snow here in the Greater Vancouver area except up in the mountains just to the north (and not even there in years when we have the Winter Olympics like 2010).
My goodness, gravity works in a strange way in BC. I am amazed your cat didn't fall over in the third shot, and even more amazed the snow didn't fall off the roof with it upside down (at least compared to the way we build our roofs on the East Coast!)  :) Aw, shucks, Doug - you spoiled my fun!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

You caught me...I really took the first picture in Australia.

When we do get snow in Vancouver,....it's STICKY!

And When the car cat wants in, he can hang on until he gets in.

Terry

TelePlay

This is an interest phenomenon only seen before the great lakes are still warm (relatively) to the fast moving air passing over them. The result is snow bands and I can't remember ever seeing them over all of the lakes at the same time.

It's cold air warming enough over the lakes to pick up moisture which is dumped as snow once the moist air no longer has the lake beneath it to keep it warm, it cools and you get snow, and with strong winds, snow bands as seen here.

This is why Marquette Michigan gets an average of 149.1 inches (379 cm) a year, the third snowiest city in the US, becasue Lake Superior rarely freezes over leaving all that open water available to the blustery winds out of the north west. Along the same lines, Buffalo gets 94.7 inches, Cleveland 68.1 inches, Syracuse NY 126", Erie PA 101" and Rochester NY 100" per year. All are cities east or so of a great lake.

Here in lower Wisconsin we get light, powdery snow from the cold, dry air out of the north west and we get most of our snow, the wet, heavy to shovel stuff, from the warm, moist gulf air out of the south west.

Such is winter in the great lakes and these snow bands east of all 5 great lakes due to strong northwest winds is a rare event. The second image below are the current winds, in MPH, The jet stream is right on top of us, the 3rd image below.

DavePEI

Uh-Ho! Sounds like fun beginning now! Hope the power stays on...

"Alerts for: Queens County P.E.I. Warnings

11:10 AM AST Thursday 15 December 2016
Snow squall warning in effect for:

Queens County P.E.I.

Persistent snow squalls are expected. Under the snow squall bands, visibilities will be significantly reduced due to the heavy snow combined with blowing snow, and snow will quickly accumulate.

Very strong northwest winds coming across the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the Northumberland Strait will give flurries at times heavy and reduced visibilities in blowing snow. Snowsqualls occasionally giving near zero visibilities in blowing snow and significant accumulation of snow are expected.

Snow squalls cause weather conditions to vary considerably; changes from clear skies to heavy snow within just a few kilometres are common. Prepare for quickly changing and deteriorating travel conditions.

Snow squall warnings are issued when bands of snow form that produce intense accumulating snow or near zero visibilities.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ec.weatheraspc.ec@canada.ca or tweet reports to #PEStorm.

10:57 AM AST Thursday 15 December 2016
Wind warning in effect for:

Queens County P.E.I.

Strong winds that may cause damage are expected or occurring.

Northwest winds will gust to 90 km/h overnight tonight and Friday. These winds will be accompanied by very cold temperatures, flurries and blowing snow.

Damage to buildings, such as to roof shingles and windows, may occur. High winds may toss loose objects or cause tree branches to break.

Wind warnings are issued when there is a significant risk of damaging winds.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ec.weatheraspc.ec@canada.ca or tweet reports to #PEStorm.

Statements

11:12 AM AST Thursday 15 December 2016
Special weather statement in effect for:

Queens County P.E.I.

An exceptionally high run of tides combined with violent onshore northwesterly winds is expected to give higher than normal water levels during high tide over Northumberland Strait and the southern half of the Gulf of St. Lawrence on Friday. Water levels will fall late in the day. Large waves approaching from the northwest will impact the coastlines of western Cape Breton, eastern PEI and Iles-de-la-Madeleine.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to ec.weatheraspc.ec@canada.ca or tweet reports to #PEStorm."
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

I'd offer the services of my POSgen generator for backup, but, it's 240v only, doesn't presently run and is a bit far away...  ;D

Though on a more serious note, have you thought about having a generator put into place to serve as a backup if or when a power failure occurs? Doesn't need to be powerful, just something to keep the lights on & essentials (like heating) running... :)

Was going to add refrigeration to that but, erm, winter and all!! Easy enough to put some snow into a plastic tub and used in a fridge like an ice box... ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 15, 2016, 12:41:10 PM
Though on a more serious note, have you thought about having a generator put into place to serve as a backup if or when a power failure occurs? Doesn't need to be powerful, just something to keep the lights on & essentials (like heating) running... :)
I have a 4500 watt Honda, but it hasn't run in 5-7 years, and  its carburetor is messed up. Alas, it is mounted on the deck, and I can't get at the carb with my bad legs, etc. Would need a hoist to get me back on my feet!

The only good thing is we have a propane kitchen stove, and we can at least keep one room warm with it. That is what we had to do two weeks ago when the power was out for 26 hours....
C*NET 1-651-0001