News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

In that case, you could get someone to service the carb, not that hard of a job (especially if they have an ultrasonic cleaner, those things work miracles on gucked up carburettors!), shame I'm not over there, would have it up and running in no time...  ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on December 15, 2016, 12:52:37 PM
In that case, you could get someone to service the carb, not that hard of a job (especially if they have an ultrasonic cleaner, those things work miracles on gucked up carburettors!), shame I'm not over there, would have it up and running in no time...  ;D
Problem is I can't get at it to take it off, and the last time we had it serviced, it cost $300 and I can't afford that..... I feel we were ripped off, but, that was in the middle of a week long outage, and we had to get it fixed...
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on December 15, 2016, 01:04:44 PMand the last time we had it serviced, it cost $300

For that money you could buy a new carb, a full tank of petrol and still have money left for a fleet of telephones... :o

DavePEI

QuoteOh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

It doesn't show signs of stopping,
And I've bought some corn for popping,
The lights are turned way down low,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

'Cause I can't stop it anyway! Weather now calling for up to 60 cms before Saturday morning. The winds are blowing and the power is threatening to go out.  Winds now 60 km/h and they say up to 100 in gusts tonight. For now, the snow has lessened, but there is enough now on the ground to produce some massive banks with the wind. I hate winter! 
C*NET 1-651-0001

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Just noticed that WeatherUnderground is predicting snow here in about 8 days (they think the 23rd, my cat Spud's 11th birthday), I'm willing to bet that it won't though...  ;D

Fabius

-14 degrees F (-25.5 Celsius) predicted for tomorrow night here in northwest Indiana. And that's the actual temperature, not wind chill. If I wanted to endure those type of temperatures I'd move to Barrow Alaska. It's 11 degrees F there and we are at 5 degrees F. Go figure.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

DavePEI

Well, poor old PEI is shut down for today. RCMP are asking people to stay off the roads, the Government just announced that all plows island-wide are being taken off the roads until visibility improves, -30 c with wind chill, business cancellations rolling in, all schools cancelled, Confederation Bridge closed to high sided vehicles, etc. etc. etc.

Still too dark to see the mess outside. Despite this, the power did stay on over night...

The real laugh about this, is the forecast for Sunday is calling for plus 9 c!!  Gonna have to warm up a whole lot!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Here in Belleville, Ontario it is:
-24 degrees Celsius  /  -10 degrees Farenheit @ 06:05 am no wind chill clear skies.

TelePlay

Quote from: DavePEI on December 16, 2016, 06:07:32 AM
Well, poor old PEI is shut down for today.

Dave,

I'm curious, do you get powder or wet, heavy snow, or a mix? It seems a northwest wind would pick up moisture over the strait but a southwest wind would get that heavier stuff from the ocean. What do you get most of?

And, yes, we got more snow last night, an inch of light, fluffy powder from the northwest and they are predicting 8-12" of snow this weekend. My snow thrower warned me to not even ask so I guess I'll be firing up the snow blower again . . .   :)

DavePEI

C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: TelePlay on December 16, 2016, 08:41:02 AM
Dave,

I'm curious, do you get powder or wet, heavy snow, or a mix? It seems a northwest wind would pick up moisture over the strait but a southwest wind would get that heavier stuff from the ocean. What do you get most of?

Honestly, I haven't ventured out onto the ever-deepening permafrost which is turning the tundra into a mantle of cryogenic bedrock today, but I am told is is heavy and compacted due to the force of the NW winds which blew. Plows are still off the highway due to bad visibility, and there are reports of 6 foot drifts in many places, and highways blocked by snow and abandoned cars. It came down dry, but was really compacted by those winds!

I must cut this reply short. The Samoyeds are baying by the sled outside and I must throw them a piece of fresh-cut blubber to hold them through the night.
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

WOW! You guys are making me chilly!
Below is the reading on my dash when I came home from work tonight.
The reason I moved to South Florida.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Oh, Harry, what a show off.  84.  Whew!  I can see why you moved to Florida.  On the other hand, at my tender age of 65, I have never experienced a full-blown (pun intended) hurricane.  I've seen some good stiff wind storms, and here we occasionally get a dust storm.

I haven't seen the 80's since September.  We didn't get the low temps that some have reported, but it was 3 degrees F this morning when I got up.  One of the personal weather stations near me on weather underground reported .2, so it got pretty cold.  A TV station weather man said that this is the coldest we have been this early in the season for many years.  We have 6-8" of snow on the ground.  It's supposed to warm up with highs in the low 40's but freeze at night.  All the smow on the ground is going to turn icy at night and become a mess. 

Go for a swim, but don't catch cold.
-Bill G