News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 17, 2016, 07:24:51 PM
WOW! You guys are making me chilly!
Below is the reading on my dash when I came home from work tonight.
The reason I moved to South Florida.

Oh yeah....Well, my gas guage is nailed to F at the moment! Take that show off :)

My outside temperature guage has been nailed to about -3C for the last 10 days or so though.... :(

Terry

19and41

Seeing these reports make me check the thermometer outside.  Yesterday it was 36 degrees F,  this morning it's 69 degrees.  We are riding the raggedy edge of the weather you folks up north are getting.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on December 18, 2016, 08:34:50 AM
Seeing these reports make me check the thermometer outside.  Yesterday it was 36 degrees F,  this morning it's 69 degrees.  We are riding the raggedy edge of the weather you folks up north are getting.

I was watching the storm move through yesterday and it seems you were right between the freezing rain in Indy and the powder north of Chicago. Used about a gallon of gas all last winter in my snow blower, went through 2 gallons already this year, most of it the past few days. Sunny right now so did my last snow clean up about 2 hours ago in -3F (-20C) temps and discovered, unfortunately, no steaks on the grill for the near future . . .

And the curb lawn is FULL! The plow pushes new snow onto the sidewalk and blow the sidewalk snow where ever I can.

Merry Christmas, and yes, it will be white this year, first time in a few years.  8)

19and41

The lower edge is moving across us.  70 at 8am, now 57 at 11am.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Was about 10 degrees celsius here today, and looking over the next week's predictions, it's not even going to go below freezing any time soon, even christmas day looks like it'll be like last year, piddling down with rain...  ;D

Solstice day looks a bit nicer though, not as much rain predicted...  ;D

HarrySmith

The attached picture shows about how we all feel down here.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

AE_Collector

Well, now that Winter has finally arrived, the snow in the Greater Vancouver area is slowly melting away in the rain and above freezing (finally) temperatures. We were having night time lows of about -8C and day time highs of about -2C so nothing was melting. In my area we likely had about 18 inches of total snow fall over a 7-10 day time period. I broke my snow shovel once but brought it into the shop for repairs and back out to work it went. Snow here is quite often very light and fluffy BUT it is always only a matter of very little time until it rains changing the snow to a very heavy wet mess to shovel.

Even though we are a one car family (Black 2016 Honda CR-V as of October) our last 18 years of vehicles can be seen in these three dots of the road out front.

When we got the CR-V we gave our bright blue Acuara EL (really a deluxe Honda Civic) to my daughter and it came back home to roost here for a day when she arrived home from work and couldn't get into her driveway after the snow plow had gone by. She lives about 1 Mike away from us.

Also when we got the CR-V we decided that my 1998 Honda Odyssey van needed the "weigh anchor" from its home parked uninsured on our driveway for the last four years just in case we wanted to go back to having two insured vehicles again. It has low miles and was in amazing condition but who wants an 18 year old minivan? I refused to send it to the crusher for a tax break on the new vehicle as that was just too wasteful of a perfectly good vehicle. I convinced my nephew that his old beat up Mazda pickup truck should go and we gave him the Odyssey van that is in much better shape. They live across the street from us and I see it parked on the street in front if their house.

Terry

TelePlay

After going through 2 gallons of gas in the snow blower last week, Christmas eve, Christmas day and now Boxing Day is giving us above freezing temperatures and rain. Most of the snow is packed down and/or melted and they say we may get thunder showers in a few hours - on December 26.

Very interesting precipitation today. After the rain, the temps are to drop and the wind picks up - humid cold wind, just love that bone chilling stuff.

Pourme

I'm not able to add to the snow pictures yet....70* here tomorrow.....that just ain't right......
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 23, 2016, 01:13:45 PM
Well, now that Winter has finally arrived, the snow in the Greater Vancouver area is slowly melting away in the rain and above freezing (finally) temperatures. We were having night time lows of about -8C and day time highs of about -2C so nothing was melting. In my area we likely had about 18 inches of total snow fall over a 7-10 day time period. I broke my snow shovel once but brought it into the shop for repairs and back out to work it went. Snow here is quite often very light and fluffy BUT it is always only a matter of very little time until it rains changing the snow to a very heavy wet mess to shovel.

Terry

You can send some of it our way.  Anita loves the snow and it keeps her from going to school (she's a teacher), plus I'm getting kinda bored with just driving the bus back and forth.  Some snow would make it more interesting.  The pic is the most we got so far which lasted only a day, but there's still January.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

I am quite surprised that you haven't taken any direct hits yet. Usually "what comes around Vancouver" then heads for Seattle or visa versa.

I was wondering out loud today if this will officially be counted as a "white Christmas" here in Vancouver or not. It didn't snow yesterday (Christmas day) but it did the day before and the day after. We still have lots of snow on the ground so it certainly was white but, all of our official weather is recorded at the Vancouver airport which is right beside the Pacific Ocean and they likely had no snow on the ground there on Christmas Day.

Terry

twocvbloke

Still nothing over here, had some windy weather over christmas, but that's about it, the rest of this week (well, technically the rest of the year!), high pressures, low (for us) temperatures hitting a whopping low of -1 Celsius at night, but no snow........

19and41

Emergency preparations are underway here now, as there is snow expected tomorrow evening.  They think anywhere from 1 to4 inches.   If anything wrong happens, there will be a horrible standstill in the region.  Just imagine if there were no snow removal equipment in your area and everyone just drove over the snow and ice until it became an uneven ice rink.  I hope there is more dread than actuality in this storm.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Nick in Manitou

We had some of our ex-neighbors from Colorado come visit us here in Tucson over the New Year's weekend.  It was cloudy and it rained on us a couple times.

The day after they left the sun came out.

This afternoon we were sitting in the sun in enjoying an almost hot day while they are back in Colorado in snow and a predicted high temp for today of 6F (-14.4)!

I miss Colorado, but some things I am not too sad to have left behind!

Nick