News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

AE_Collector

Sure wasn't raining in Britain on August 25-28 when we were at Salisbury and Dover! Beautiful sunny and warm.

Terry

TelePlay

twocv,

Don't remember seeing this before, a low pressure cell coming off of Africa and taking a sharp right turn straight for the UK. What do you guys do to prepare for and as a tropical storm hits?

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on October 12, 2017, 10:12:10 AM
twocv, What do you guys do to prepare for and as a tropical storm hits?

I know the answer to that one!

Head for the pub!

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on October 12, 2017, 10:12:10 AMWhat do you guys do to prepare for and as a tropical storm hits?

Can't speak for the south, but up here in't North, we put on our big coat... ;D

HarrySmith

I imagine that would be an unusual waether event for the UK!

Down here we are still up to 90 degrees every day and usually rain in the afternoon.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

Thanks for putting that up.  I might've missed it otherwise.  Looks like a few roils are coming up this season.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 12, 2017, 11:46:38 AM
I imagine that would be an unusual waether event for the UK!

Just a bit, though 1987 was also unusual, only Michael Fish (a well-known TV Weatherman over here) said there was nothing to worry about, and the UK was pretty much smashed to bits by a tropical storm...  ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Storm_of_1987

Interestingly, this one that's on the way will be almost 30 years to the day, and following a similar track.......

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Just watched a forecast and at the moment it's looking like Ireland will bear the brunt of Ophelia, though the UK will also get strong winds depending on location (looks like where I am will be mostly escaping the worst)...

Typical ain't it? Two Aladdin lamps, an Aladdin heater, three gas mantle lamps, two portable gas heaters, two gas stoves, five lanterns, plenty battery powered LED lights, two generators, and no good emergency reasons to put them to use... ;D

But I guess it's like the old saying, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...  ;D

dsk

Not so much here, but we got a little here, pretty close to Oslo.
An hour drive North and they have about 20 cm of snow. (~8")

(And I am kinda still waiting for the summer, we just did not have much nice weather here this year   :'( )

dsk

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: dsk on October 25, 2017, 02:46:01 AM
Not so much here, but we got a little here, pretty close to Oslo.
An hour drive North and they have about 20 cm of snow. (~8")

Is that a ski hill in the distance and if so, is that natural snow or are they making snow. I think I see 4 runs.

The always wrong sky is falling bobble head look at me I'm pretty (guys included) "weather" people on TV spouting their breathless worst possible scenario every time they are on are predicting snow on Saturday. I need 3 shots of Jack to get my BP down after watching them for 5 minutes (maybe one take before would save me two additional after). Not holding my breath. Just cut the lawn again today, mostly to pick up stray leaves but there was some grown with the 70 degree weather last week plus warm rain.

Phonesrfun

We are probably a good month away from getting any snow this year, although the foothills in the upper elevations have seen some and those are not far from my house.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

We are supposed to be getting a cold front here in South Florida tonight! It is supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow morning! BRRRRRRR!!

That would be 15.5 degrees to our metric friends.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"