News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

The weather folk are saying that it will be drier and not as cold this winter here.  I think i could live with that right nicely.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on October 25, 2017, 06:59:18 PM
The weather folk are saying that it will be drier and not as cold this winter here.  I think i could live with that right nicely.

Can you get them to put that in writing, sign it and attach a $1,000 compliance bond to it to cover the cost of my having some small engine guy come over to my place to get my snow blower running, take it out of summer storage, when it's 5° F here with 30 mph constant winds and 2 feet of snow cover in a half hour and getting deeper so I can clear the "drier winter stuff" from my sidewalk and driveway? With that compliance bond, I can leave my snow blower in the shed until needed, if needed according to your weather "experts." Was going to set it up today but I'll wait to here back from you on the bond.

19and41

The tell tale heart would be a passing thought compared to any performance bond in that regard.   ;D
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

Quote from: TelePlay on October 25, 2017, 05:27:26 PM
Is that a ski hill in the distance and if so, is that natural snow or are they making snow. I think I see 4 runs.

The always wrong sky is falling bobble head look at me I'm pretty (guys included) "weather" people on TV spouting their breathless worst possible scenario every time they are on are predicting snow on Saturday. I need 3 shots of Jack to get my BP down after watching them for 5 minutes (maybe one take before would save me two additional after). Not holding my breath. Just cut the lawn again today, mostly to pick up stray leaves but there was some grown with the 70 degree weather last week plus warm rain.

So fare the snow is natural so far, but they are ready to start production as fast as possible.

dsk

dsk

The natural snow is there, at least some spots on the higher areas. 
Bu I woke up this night of an earthquake, just a small one 2.5 but the center was only 9.5 English miles away from us.
That is pretty close, and not something I'm just used to.

dsk

twocvbloke

I experienced a similar quake too about 9 or 10 years ago, was around 1am and the sound preceded the shaking, sounded like a fleet of HGVs were rolling down my street, then the house started vibrating which set off my sense of panic, but, thankfully nothing happened, though a window did crack on the outside (double-glazed unit, the outer pane cracked across the window so something must have slightly shifted!)...  :o

Sargeguy

We just got hit with a tropical storm last night. I'm waiting for them to turn the power back on (it's been 14 hours already).  I don't want to be a whiner but I do live a block from the substation and less than a mile from the Power Plant, So what's taking so freaking long??? >:(So what's taking so freaking long??? >:( >:( >:(
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

Probably some union guys stood there sucking their teeth seeing how long they can put off actually working... ;D

AE_Collector

Quote from: Sargeguy on October 30, 2017, 04:16:29 PM
We just got hit with a tropical storm last night. I'm waiting for them to turn the power back on (it's been 14 hours already).  I don't want to be a whiner but I do live a block from the substation and less than a mile from the Power Plant, So what's taking so freaking long??? >:(So what's taking so freaking long??? >:( >:( >:(

You are up next....right after Puerto Rico is done.

Terry

Sargeguy

I just heard from a friend in PR, she has been without power for 40 days!!!  I guess I shouldn't feel too sorry for myself!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

Yeah the news here keeps saying that 70% or 75% of PR hasn't had power since the storm. Now the two man team hired to fix it has been fired!

Terry

TelePlay

Well, time to get this topic back on topic.

It is just 52 days to Christmas and 20 days to Turkey Day (usually 50/50chance up here of having snow on the ground on Thanksgiving).

Not the first time I've seen this up here but this is the most extensive. Won't amount to much now but it is a harbinger of days to come.

But, the folks up north have already put their shovels into action.

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on November 03, 2017, 10:38:32 PMIt is just 52 days to Christmas and 20 days to Turkey Day

Over here we refer to Christmas as Turkey day, as that's about the only time in a year when us brits tend to cook one up... ;D

But that aside, looks like over here, Monday will experience some freezing temperatures, no signs of any fluffy white precipitation though, probably a couple more months before we see anything, but you never know, could snow all through December for all I know, unlikely though... ;D

19and41

It's funny, in the last week, the radio stations to the north (Chicago and Ft. Wayne) are just as strong in the early morning as the blowtorch local stations.  It's funny how the propagation patterns seem to change with the seasons.
— Arthur C. Clarke

dsk

My recovering takes time, but a new milestone is passed. I have been able to walk the mile to lake Klopptjern and back for the first time on a little more than 3 months.

dsk