News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Quote from: 19and41 on December 19, 2017, 01:38:05 PM
You folk have some of the most beautiful winter scenes!
That is when we take the photos, we had visitors from USA this summer; 2 weeks of rain!
dsk

19and41

They probably brought the rain with them, that would have been my luck!   :D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on December 19, 2017, 02:04:55 PM
Are those steps on the roof leading to the chimney and if yes, why? What would they be used for?

They don't make Santa work for his milk and cookies over there like we do here! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

dsk

Quote from: TelePlay on December 19, 2017, 02:04:55 PM
Are those steps on the roof leading to the chimney and if yes, why? What would they be used for?

Right  It is for 1 of 2, you have to guess. 1) Make it easier for Santa Claus to enter the chimney. or 2) Make it easier for chimney sweeps.

;D

dsk

TelePlay

Quote from: dsk on December 19, 2017, 03:51:00 PM
Right  It is for 1 of 2, you have to guess. 1) Make it easier for Santa Claus to enter the chimney. or 2) Make it easier for chimney sweeps.

;D

dsk

. . . and I was thinking of the 3rd reason, a way to get up to the chimney to clean off the 3 feet of snow covering the opening so the furnace can be used.

Neat idea. Saves on ruining the roofing shingles when doing chimney maintenance.

19and41

I'll bet with all of that scenic weather the chimney gets a workout and needs regular sweeping.  At new roof time, I'm wishing I had had a tile roof.  Maybe even a tin one.
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on December 19, 2017, 04:38:43 PM
I'll bet with all of that scenic weather the chimney gets a workout and needs regular sweeping.  At new roof time, I'm wishing I had had a tile roof.  Maybe even a tin one.

I knew a guy who worked for a company that sold large aluminum sheets. He had his larger dairy barn (now used for storage and no dairy related work) roofed with aluminum (I suppose he got it as cost). Looked nice forever.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on December 19, 2017, 04:34:36 PM
. . . and I was thinking of the 3rd reason, a way to get up to the chimney to clean off the 3 feet of snow covering the opening so the furnace can be used.

Neat idea. Saves on ruining the roofing shingles when doing chimney maintenance.

I agree, it is a pretty great idea! I would bet that in the Summer, those steps visually blend right in with the rest of the shingles on the roof. It also also makes sense for those with an antenna/satellite dish next to the chimney.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

dsk

twocvbloke

Here in the UK, chimney sweeps go from the inside out with their brushes... ;D

Though that said we don't burn much softwoods so don't have much issue with resin buildup on chimneys that needs to be cleaned off with power tools...

Greg G.

We had a white Christmas for the first time I can remember.  I found a good article on what happens when it snows here.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/does-it-snow-in-seattle-2964932

Does it Snow in Seattle? And when it does, what happens?

Yes, it does snow in Seattle. However, depending on where you're from, the answer may be "kind of" rather than a firm yes. Seattle is not exactly known for its heavy snows. So if you're used to knee-deep powder, then you won't see that kind of snow in Seattle and you might wonder what all the fuss is about. In fact, when we get snow, it's usually just an inch or two, or even a mere dusting, but don't be surprised if most people around you marvel at the snow coming down. Snow isn't common enough in Seattle to be the norm so residents usually get excited when even a few flakes come down.

Still, even though the Seattle area doesn't often get heavy snow, there are still some unique considerations for when it snows in the Northwest. Read on to find out what makes snow in Seattle so unique and often problematic even when it is just a few inches!

What kind of snowfall does Seattle get?

Even though Seattle averages just a bit over five inches of snow each season, many years don't get much snow at all. Record years have gotten amounts that would be extremely unusual today—21.4 inches in 1950, 21.5 inches in 1916, and a reputed 64 inches over the entire season in 1880! Many years, we don't get any snow at all, or there may just be a light dusting that quickly melts away.

Seattle Mostly Shuts Down in the Snow

Despite the low average snowfall each year, be warned. When Seattle does get snow, the city tends to shut down (or at least operate at low capacity) even more than cities that get far more inches of snow. One chief reason behind this is that Seattle, Tacoma and other Puget Sound cities are filled with hills. Temperatures also often hover just near freezing so that the snow melts and then freezes overnight, making roads slick, icy and dangerous. If you work or live in downtown Seattle or Tacoma, the bus is a good option on icy mornings if you don't want your car to turn into a sled. If you do go out, be extra careful.

Driving in the Snow

If you do have to drive after a snow, be careful. Even if you're an experience snow driver, many drivers here are not. Watch out for other drivers, go slow and allow plenty of space between you and the cars around you. Avoid going down hills unless your car has chains or is otherwise equipped to handle that situation. A few snow-driving strategies can go a long way if you have to be out.

Public Transportation

If you need to head into either Seattle or Tacoma's downtown cores, it may be best to stick to public transportation. Both cities feature downtowns with plenty of hills, which can become downright unpleasant if you hit a patch of ice. Even public buses often modify their routes on snowy days, but can almost always get you where you need to go.

If You Have to Head out of Town...

If you need to drive out of town, another consideration of snow in the Seattle area are the mountain passes. If you're heading east, you have a few choices to get over the Cascades, but make sure you check the road conditions before you go. If there's snow, you're often not allowed on the passes without chains and you'll need to know how to chain up. The passes are at different elevations as well, so conditions can be different on different passes. If you're going north or south, you're likely safer, but there is a pass on I-5 in Oregon to check before you go.

Get Used to Easily Impressed Locals

If you're from the Northwest, you know how thrilling a few snowflakes falling can be. If you're from an area that routinely gets more snow than we do, you might be taken aback by the locals who get excited that it's snowing...when there may only be a few flakes. Let us have our fun. Snow is rare and exciting!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

All these were taken on Christmas Day morning and early afternoon and posted for those who do not have the experience of a sunny, well below freezing day at different spot on Lake Michigan west shores. Wasn't cold enough for the lake to steam but the cold and the calm winds helped create surface ice and in the protected areas, the beginning of what will be thick ice by the end of the week.

Posted in order from north to south with the last image being a north/south state Highway in flat country with the ditches already filled with drifted snow. Drove a good 100 miles over road with this strong west wind drifting of dry, powder.

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

Babybearjs

we got snow on Christmas, not much, but it was a white Christmas this year....
John

dsk

I have been shuffling snow for an hour now, and they say it may be another 30-35 cm (1ft) this day.

I wish you a nice holiday!

dsk