News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 29, 2014, 05:55:09 AM
(though I later found the dish had loosened with the cold weather making the metal shrink, cos that kind of snow shouldn't have been a problem for a 60cm Minidish)
I think you would find the problem wasn't the amount of snow on it, nor the weight of it, but the fact the snow was affecting the parobolic nature of the dish. Brush it off, and the antenna would work much better.

We have this with our Bell Expressvu dishes here - if they load up with snow of ice, it changes the reflective curvature of the dish and the signal when reflected from the dish will miss the eye or LNB.

We routinely have to brush excessive snow off our dish during a storm when it loses signal. There are actually dish heaters available to help combat this problem in some cold weather areas. I laughed. I saw some Dish Network users suggesting a kids "Super Soaker" water gun full of hot water to swoosh the snow off their dish. :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on March 29, 2014, 09:03:36 AMI think you would find the problem wasn't the amount of snow on it, nor the weight of it, but the fact the snow was affecting the parobolic nature of the dish. Brush it off, and the antenna would work much better.

Nah, it was definitely that the dish had flopped forwards slightly under the weight of the snow and ice buildup, as the wall clamp had loosened from the contracting metal (I put the dish up in the summer, so metal shrinkage was bound to happen), later on it was blown forwards so it was facing the ground so I had to completely realign it from scratch and tighten everything up properly, but thankfully that's pretty easy to do, as satellite TV was one of my previous hobbies before they shut off all analogue satellite channels... :)

I want to put it up at this house but haven't got a long enough ladder at the moment to reach the existing 43cm minidish (they're great in perfectly clear weather, but any amount of cloud causes them to not work adequately!!), but maybe when the uncle moves in next door and I can get to the ladders out in the shed out the back I'll get my dish up... ;D

AE_Collector

Glad you survived the storm Dave.

I will fill you in on our weather occasionally for the next five weeks though maybe you would prefer I didn't! We will land in Tahiti tomorrow at 5AM local time at which point we will take 34 days to find our way home again to Canada Place cruise ship terminal on May 3. Rumour has it that we will lose our way for 8 days amoungst the Hawaaiin Islands before getting back on track to Vancouver.

I hope your snow has all melted by then. Heck, I hope that EVERYONE's snow has melted by then.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 29, 2014, 03:53:12 PM
Glad you survived the storm Dave.

I will fill you in on our weather occasionally for the next five weeks though maybe you would prefer I didn't! We will land in Tahiti tomorrow at 5AM local time at which point we will take 34 days to find our way home again to Canada Place cruise ship terminal on May 3. Rumour has it that we will lose our way for 8 days amoungst the Hawaaiin Islands before getting back on track to Vancouver.

I hope your snow has all melted by then. Heck, I hope that EVERYONE's snow has melted by then.

Terry
That's it. Turn your tail and run from the lousy weather. If you really cared, you'd take us all with you!  :)

Have a great time, Terry! We will, once spring is well and truly here!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Should be some empty seats on the plane. Head over right away though. We are at the airport and just one hour until take off!

Terry

DavePEI

C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

All we have is thick fog, either that or I've developed outdoor-only cataracts... ???

Dennis Markham

Dave, I feel bad for you guys getting more snow.  Enough IS enough!  We're going to hit close to 60 degrees (f) here tomorrow in the Detroit area.  Opening Day for the baseball season.  Still a lot of snow in piles around the area though.

dsk

;) The spring is coming here too. You may still use your Skis if you want, but we took the trip on regular shoes today.
This is about 30 km north of Oslo City at lake Skillingen.

dsk

DavePEI

Hi All:

So far the weather isn't too bad. A few cm. of snow from today's storm, followed by a few hours of freezing rain, but it is tonight the wind is supposed to come up. The temperature is currently at the freezing mark.

Here is an interesting video which I found showing what roads were like on Friday taken on the western side of the Island...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152717817553747&set=vb.585003746&type=2&theater

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

And Yet Again!

Mar 31, 2014 - 6:30 a.m. temperature 1 c., 30.2 f. Winter storm warning in effect. Today, rain at times heavy changing to freezing rain early this afternoon. Rainfall amount 10 mm. Wind east 30 km/h gusting to 50. Temperature falling to zero c., 32 f., this afternoon. Tonight, freezing rain changing to ice pellets early this evening then to snow at times heavy and blowing snow late this evening. Snow and ice pellet amount 10 cm. Wind northeast 40 km/h gusting to 70. Low minus 4 c., 24.8 f.
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Global Warming, or Ice Age?

Apr 1st forecast:

Winter storm warning in effect. Tonight..Periods of freezing rain changing to ice pellets early this evening then to snow at times heavy and blowing snow late this evening. Snow and ice pellet amount 10 cm. Wind east 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming northeast 40 gusting to 70 early this evening. Low minus 4. Tuesday..Snow at times heavy and blowing snow. Amount 5 cm. Wind north 40 km/h gusting to 70. High minus 2. Tuesday night..Periods of snow and blowing snow ending near midnight then cloudy. Wind north 40 km/h gusting to 70 becoming northeast 30 near midnight. Low minus 3.

Winter storm warning in effect for:

• Queens County P.E.I.
Freezing rain this evening changing to snow and blowing snow overnight.

This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..listen for updated statements. A low pressure system slowly approaching from the southwest will drift east of Nova Scotia tonight and Tuesday.

Freezing rain will change to snow tonight and persist on Tuesday. 15 to 30 centimetres of snow is expected over central and western areas. The snow will be accompanied by strong northeast winds giving poor visibility in blowing snow.

This is incredible - we are usually snow free by mid march and here we are still rapidly building on the winter's total, I am looking into Hibernation until summer!.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Given that it's the 1st of April  are you sure it's not an april fools joke?

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 01, 2014, 05:54:14 AM
Given that it's the 1st of April  are you sure it's not an april fools joke?
If it were, it would be a very bad joke!

Haw, Haw, I'm laughing! Its a cold, wintry mess again this morning. And the new forecast is:

Queens County P.E.I. Kings County P.E.I.. Winter storm warning in effect. Today..Periods of snow. Snow or ice pellets early this morning. Snow and ice pellet amount 5 cm. Blowing snow this morning. Local blowing snow this afternoon. Wind northeast 50 km/h gusting to 70. High minus 1. Tonight..Flurries ending overnight then cloudy. Local blowing snow this evening. Wind northeast 40 km/h gusting to 60. Low minus 5. Wednesday..Cloudy. Wind northeast 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming east 20 early in the evening. High plus 1.

It was a noisy, blustery night, with the freezing rain and snow on the windows. Power went off momentarily a few times, but once again, we excaped the many outages across the Island. Once again, and for the fifth school day in a row, schools and colleges have been closed across the Island.

Note: Although it was hard to see earlier, our driveway was a solid drift - when our neighbours ran their 4WD tractor/snowblower down it, it turns out there is every bit as much snow in it as after the last storm, cuttings about 4 feet of heavy snow/ice crystals! They only made it halfway down, and hopefully will be down again later. Winds is still blowing snow back in, so we aren't even going to try cleaning it the rest of the way yet. There will be no getting out today.

What a way to encourage tourism! There oughta be a law banning snow like this in April!

Map courtesy Weather Network; Text forecast, Environment Canada.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: DavePEI on April 01, 2014, 06:04:34 AMWhat a way to encourage tourism!

According George Bush Jr., there's a war on tourism, cos all tourists are bad people...