News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on December 25, 2017, 10:41:05 PM
Beautiful pictures, but it's cold just looking at them!

Thanks, and yes, it was cold. Funny thing about taking photos up there, if it is warm, it's over cast (cloudy) and if there is sun, it's cold. That sunset picture I posted in dsk's Christmas gift cheese board was taken about 1/2 hour after the cloud cover broke up. Was 20° F all day and cloudy. Clouds broke at 3:30, sunset was 4:10 and it dropped from 20° to 10° overnight with clear skies.

Christmas day was windy and cold but not as cold at this morning, the 26th. Dropped to -17°C (-2°F) and a bright sunny day. Without clouds, the heat from the sun of the day escapes into the atmosphere over night.

I overlaid a real map of Wisconsin over dsk's cheese board showing the 3 water shots to the east and the one red dot, the blowing snow (and the shot to the west for that sunset image). I grew up in Kewaunee so to me, I've seen all Lake Michigan and winter can dump on that part of the state. Very pretty but very bone chilling.

It was a white Christmas where we traveled for the weekend.

19and41

When I lived in Michigan and it was particularly cold, the street lights and parking lot lights had a peculiar effect of casting a visible beam at an upward angle from a downward facing light, as seen from the side. that and the halos and "sun dogs" were strange effects.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on December 26, 2017, 01:59:55 PM
When I lived in Michigan and it was particularly cold, the street lights and parking lot lights had a peculiar effect of casting a visible beam at an upward angle from a downward facing light, as seen from the side. that and the halos and "sun dogs" were strange effects.

Did you live in the deep woods area of Michigan where this was a typical winter, cold, cloudy, snow covered everything kind of day?

HarrySmith

I recall waking up in Connectcut to a fresh overnight snowfall. It was amazing!! Everything covered in white, no tire tracks or footprints yet, pristine. I also remember the silence, not a sound from anything. The snow acts as an acoustic barrier, soaking up all sounds. It was even more beautiful if there was an ice storm, everything covered in ice looked like it was made of crystal when the sun hit it, breathtaking, and as with most extremly beautiful things, very, very dangerous!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

Quote from: TelePlay on December 27, 2017, 10:59:56 AM
Did you live in the deep woods area of Michigan where this was a typical winter, cold, cloudy, snow covered everything kind of day?

More of an agricultural area, about halfway between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek.  It would occur on clear, very cold nights.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 27, 2017, 12:12:03 PM
I recall waking up in Connectcut to a fresh overnight snowfall. It was amazing!! Everything covered in white, no tire tracks or footprints yet, pristine. I also remember the silence, not a sound from anything. The snow acts as an acoustic barrier, soaking up all sounds. It was even more beautiful if there was an ice storm, everything covered in ice looked like it was made of crystal when the sun hit it, breathtaking, and as with most extremly beautiful things, very, very dangerous!
Wow, you don't see snow very much, do you? ;) ;D

I do enjoy a nice, fresh snowfall, if it's on a Saturday/Sunday morning, and if there's a clear sky.

It's been below zero the past few days here in Wisconsin. Not fun when I have to work next to a routinely opening and closing garage door all day! :o
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 27, 2017, 04:18:15 PM
Wow, you don't see snow very much, do you? ;) ;D

I do enjoy a nice, fresh snowfall, if it's on a Saturday/Sunday morning, and if there's a clear sky.

It's been below zero the past few days here in Wisconsin. Not fun when I have to work next to a routinely opening and closing garage door all day! :o

I do not see any snow since I moved to south Florida! We had 82 degree weather on Christmas day! I grew up in Connecticut, saw lots of snow for many years. One day I had to jump out the second floor window of my parents house and walk around to shovel out the front door! Used to build igloos and snow tunnels in the yard. Learned to drive on snow & ice in rear wheel drive cars with studed snow tires. There was a movie made about an ice storm, I was working in a gas station during that, think it was around 1973! The governor shut down the entire state. Loads of fun! I cannot recall the name of the movie but I think it had something to do with a party where people got stranded??

PS - Google is my friend, the movie was "The Ice Storm" and was about a "Key Party" in New Cannan Conn. It was in 1973. That was what I was talking about, looking like crystal, in the morning when the sun came out everything was incased in ice, beautiful! I have attached a picture and there are more here:

http://www.courant.com/hc-pictures-the-ice-storm-of-1973-20140407-photogallery.html
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Nick in Manitou

From 2000 to 2007 we had a ranch located at about 7300 ft above sea level, between Denver and Colorado Springs. The house was built in the late 1800s and had no insulation in it at all when we moved in!  We added insulation to the attic, but the insulation contractors suggested that it would be very difficult to get insulation well distributed in the walls by blowing it in due to the method of construction. They suggested we wait until we either removed the plaster on the inside or the siding on the outside to insulate the walls.

The ranch was located in a bit of a valley and on the coldest nights when the air was still and the sky clear it got as cold as...-40F!  That was cold! Borrowed a couple thermometers from neighbors to confirm that ours was reading correctly (on the north side of the outhouse).  We spent a lot of money on heat in that house and it was still cold! 

Perhaps that is part of the reason we decided to try Arizona!

Nick

(Perhaps I should add that indoor plumbing had been added prior to our moving into the place!)

twocvbloke

Only a minor dusting here yesterday morning, apparently friday morning's meant to be a "bit snowy", especially in comparison to some of the photos here...  ;D

TelePlay

Bone chilling webcam images from the very end of Highway 42 in Door County, Wisconsin. That's the very tip of the thumb where the State Highway ends, at a ferry dock, and a boat takes people and cars from the end of Hwy 42 to Washington Island.

Captured at 8 AM, the top left image shows the route from Northport (1&2) across Death's Door (or in French - Porte des Mortes) to the Detroit Harbor ferry dock on Washington Island.

The upper right shows the ferry that's been sitting there all night waiting to being its first run. Note, the water from the ferry to Detroit Island has frozen over during the night.

The lower left image shows Hwy 42 as it comes to the end, a bit of a crest as the road breaks out of the wooded landscape and then nothing but down hill slope to the dock, the water, the end of the road. They have two cameras on the Northport side and the lower right shows the ticket booth and docks waiting for the ferry to arrive. Two vehicles have already lined up to catch the first ferry. Note, the water from the harbor breakwater piers to Plum Island in the distance is dark blue, open and cold water. That is Death's Door, one of the most treacherous points on all of the great lakes because that strait is where Green Bay on the left meets Lake Michigan on the right. Something like 60 ships sank in that area from the mid 1800s to the early 1900s.

A typical winter, about to be sunny but very cold, day, the last one of 2017 at the tip of the thumb on dsk's cutting board . . .  ;)

TelePlay

I've walked this dock to the very end many times in the summer. This morning with the air temperature of -10° F and -24°C at 8AM on New Years Day is just cold. I can't imagine being on of the 708 people who live year round on that island, 7 miles from the tip of Door County. And having to travel back and forth on that ferry in the dead of winter makes me shudder, that cold steel and the elements on this ferry just getting ready to leave Washington Island. Dry cold is one thing, this on water is something else.

TelePlay

Last image, I promise, of this area.

Wasn't waiting for it, just logged in and there it was. The Washington Island Dock webcam captured the Super Full Moon at 4:30 pm (just after sunset) and you can see the moon's reflection on the ice. Still looks cold. But you have to admit, this is a cool photo, even if not high def resolution.

AE_Collector

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 01, 2018, 06:41:29 PM
Oh come on....we want pictures from July!

Terry

Okay, but just 1 from this past late summer (except for one take one week ago - you can figure out which that is).