News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Here is an idea of what today's storm is like.

A few minutes ago, Linda was sitting in the living room talking on the phone with a friend, and she looked out to see a car spinning sideways on a drift. The car was  heading straight for a power pole, but stopped just short.

Plows are now off all side roads, and some main roads due to drifting, and schools and businesses are closed again across the Island.

Below the photo of his car on the road, is a photo of our car in the driveway! This is April, pholks!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bridie

Dave, I have a sneaking suspicion that we here in Atlantic Canada won't be having spring this year.  Cape Breton and surrounding areas are getting hammered again today.  Here in Halifax we've got rain/freezing rain/snow/ and high winds.  I think so far this year our office has closed four times due to winter storms.  I've worked here five years and this is the first time I can recall ever getting a storm day, let alone four in one year!  Crazy weather!
Bridget

DavePEI

Quote from: Bridie on April 01, 2014, 02:08:10 PM
Dave, I have a sneaking suspicion that we here in Atlantic Canada won't be having spring this year.  Cape Breton and surrounding areas are getting hammered again today.  Here in Halifax we've got rain/freezing rain/snow/ and high winds.  I think so far this year our office has closed four times due to winter storms.  I've worked here five years and this is the first time I can recall ever getting a storm day, let alone four in one year!  Crazy weather!
Sure is! I have a Dr's appointment scheduled tomorrow, but I doubt I will get to it if the wind doesn't die down soon. We have neighbours that blow the main part of the driveway, but we have to clear around the cars, and I can't shovel due to my ailing heart.. So we may be staying home tomorrow. Hard to believe it is April!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Bridie

I remember many years ago we had a snow storm the day before Easter.  Yikes!  :o
Bridget

DavePEI

Finally a day without new snow! The winds finally dropped last night after midnight. Linda is now out clearing the snow around the car. Our neighbours took at least 20 minutes getting their 4WD tractor/snowblower down the main part of the driveway.

Hopefully we will be able to get the car shoveled out enough I can make it to my Dr's appointment later this morning. Even the hood of the car will need to be shoveled off - there is at least 2 feet of snow over the hood end.

Poor Linda is on her own for the shoveling - I can't for medical reasons. Bless her heart! Alas there are no kids in the area of an age who could shovel.

Lets hope this is the last snow we see this year!

Dave

C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

And still moving snow!

This will give you an idea of what snow removal crews are still undergoing in some areas of the Island. These plows are trying to break through to downed power lines. We finally got out yesterday. Thanks goodness, as cabin fever was setting in. The snow is done, at least for now, but its going to be around for a long time! Note: these aren't miniature plows! :)

Heard on the scanner minutes ago. A snow plow driver to his dispatcher, "I hate snow! Get that... I HATE SNOW. Copy?"

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Wow, that sure took a long time. I'd hate to be cooped in that long!

I believe the driver, after all that work..

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on April 03, 2014, 06:27:46 PM
Wow, that sure took a long time. I'd hate to be cooped in that long!

I believe the driver, after all that work..

Ben
We sure were glad to get out finally! I remember many times years ago when we would be storm stayed for three or four days, but it hasn't happened for a long time!

There is a rainbow on the horizon - next week's forecast if we can believe it is calling for above zero temps (32 F+) for all of next week, many days in the 5-10 deg. c. range, and several days of heavy rain. Between the temperature and rain, it should cut the snow fast. Glad I have a sump pump in the basement, though!

I really fot a kick out of the driver's comments!

Hurry up spring!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Here it is, April 15th, and lots of snow left. But there is hope yet. The last few days have been nice and warm, temps well in the double digits!

Today was the first day of the trout fishing season here. There is only one problem - for the first time in my memory, most waters are still frozen over, but not for long!

Today was amazing, reaching a peak of 18 deg. c. - very close to 65 deg. f. Between that, and fairly high winds, really lowered the banls that are left. Still, much of the west half acre of our property is snow covered, but the depth of it has dropped by a matter of feet!

Finally, I spent a long time in the museum today - in shirt sleeves!

Tomorrow the warm spell will start out the day, but in the afternoon, it is forecast to drop back to freezing. Still with all the snow we have lost in the past few days, I will accept that as a great birthday present. Couldn't ask for anything more!

Dave

C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Too bad.. At least it's pretty nice out.

Last week weather was beautiful, but now we are back to 19 degs (F) in the morning.

Ben

Mr. Bones

Dave,
     Glad it's starting to head toward Spring there, finally. 80F here Fri Sat, 69 Sun am, @ waking up. Post-noon, dropped 30 in around 4 hours, 20-40 mph N/NW winds/rain all day, snow Sun night, Mon am.

Today 24F last I looked before leaving for work; usually drops more after that. Sunny near 60 today, springtime at 39° north :- ). Certainly a roller coaster, wear long johns under shorts, or take along Carrharts and Coppertone.
Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DavePEI

Just so you can see the improvement in the past three days, I am posting a few photos as it is currently. Three days ago, both sides of the house had pretty solid snow with no drifts less than 4 feet tall. This morning, only remnants remain!

Yesterday really helped with fog, rain, then sun and 18 degrees f. (about 65 f) for the better part of the day. It is supposed to cool down to freezing again later this afternoon, but what an improvement! We might yet see grass this year!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

We have had some nice warm temperatures over the past few days, nothing over 16 degrees Celsius, but comfortable enough to not need extra clothing, though it has been frosty overnight, but I doubt we'll see any snow, of course with saying that there'll probably a sudden april shower of snow that buries us under a few feet... ;D

paul-f

It was in the 70s here yesterday and we woke to this...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

DavePEI

Hi Paul:

I understand how it must feel. However, I am sure it will be gone in no time!

As I mentioned we were in the midst of an amazing melt yesterday. Yesterday, our anchor out front was covered with a snow drift. That is now gone, and the little spring flowers around it are up and blooming. Amazing!

It is a 500 pound anchor off a ship we bought in an auction in the 50s. We have used it to hold down the corner of our property even since then Some years back, Linda planted these little bulbs, and they have always been the first flower to appear each year!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001