News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Let it Snow...Let it Snow....Let it Snow ( and other weather events )

Started by Doug Rose, February 09, 2013, 08:34:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Quote from: Duffy on January 29, 2019, 09:00:10 AM
Geez Harry that's shorts weather up here! LOL   ::)

Yeah, I know. I am originally from Connecticut. I used to say cold was single digits! Not any more.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Just checked the radar, doesn't look as bad as they predict.
Calling for 4-8, or 8-10 depending on what you look at..
But I don't see anything more than 4-5". Fine by me, Harry I'd love to see 37 degrees on the thermometer with no rain, that would be awesome. But for Florida, that's nippy.
KEN

HarrySmith

Over the weekend and yesterday it rained constantly, skies were gray and was cold, I thought I was back in Conn!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: Bob S on January 29, 2019, 07:28:44 AM
01/29/2019 tuesday I live in the state of corruption (Illinois) Weather for cast for Wednesday 50 Below Perfect example a cold day in Hell-inois

That's wind chill, right?

Coldest I ever remember in Wisconsin was when I lived in Madison in the mid 80s when it hit -39° F for 2 days straight, wind chill was not invented yet. It's 1° F here this morning. I don't look at windchill numbers, they are meaningless if dressed properly for the time intended to be outside. Windchill is a "feels like" temperature used to scare people, or to get them to cover up exposed skin when it is cold and windy. I turn on the TV to get the current temperature and they only give windchill, and in great big numbers. Pet peeve of mine.

It may seem strange to Harry, but I really prefer 0° F to 28° F up here in that at zero, there is no moisture in the air so it does not feel as cold as 28° where the moisture in the air goes right through whatever you are wearing, it bites making it miserable.

If I took this picture last week, it would have been all grass, no snow.

Babybearjs

just stay inside and warm... this weather event will pass.. its still hibernation season, and for some of you, it will be longer this year...
John

19and41

I got to follow ye olde brine truck driving to work today.  The super bowl has got the minds of the powers that be and they have treated roads that will be dry for the next 3 days.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Quote from: 19and41 on January 29, 2019, 02:23:55 PM
I got to follow ye olde brine truck driving to work today.  The super bowl has got the minds of the powers that be and they have treated roads that will be dry for the next 3 days.
Super Bowl? Who's playing this year?......Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 29, 2019, 01:59:08 PM
just stay inside and warm...

That would be boring.

Just spent 2 hours outside in 1° sunny but very windy conditions raking foot deep snow off the roof to prevent ice damming and water damage. Supposed to get rain and 40° for one day later this week and then back to zero. That is not good for roofs so the snow came off, and then shoveled off the driveway. Came in totally white from blowing snow crusting the clothes. Snow on the ground was knee to hip deep so just walking around the house to clear 5' of snow off the edge of the roof was a fun event, only fell over twice.

I really like Wisconsin winters, the challenges they bring and the satisfaction that I know I can not only enjoy them but overcome anything. Goes back to when I was 13 and had a paper route which required delivering 80 papers 7 days a week by bicycle, even during during blizzards. Made one tough, aware and thoughtful of circumstances.

Today's challenge was a walk in the park.

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Butch Harlow

Since this is a phone site and this is a weather thread here's a good number to call. 1 (218) 488-8463. Its for northern Minnesota up north of Minneapolis. I would say its pretty cold there. I called at 5pm central and it was a balmy -24. I will call before bed to see what happened after the sun went away.
Butch Harlow

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: Butch Harlow on January 29, 2019, 06:52:31 PM
Since this is a phone site and this is a weather thread here's a good number to call. 1 (218) 488-8463. Its for northern Minnesota up north of Minneapolis. I would say its pretty cold there. I called at 5pm central and it was a balmy -24. I will call before bed to see what happened after the sun went away.

I didn't look up the area code because I have a good idea you are talking about International Falls, one of the coldest spot in the US on average every year but areas along Highway 11 west of the Falls is even colder, just not reported.

One thing often missed about areas that go into the deep freeze each year is that the cold kills off a lot of stuff which is bad for people, germs.

Fabius

La Porte, Indiana. Forecast: high -14 F, low -24 F.

-25.4 C,  -31 C
:o
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

compubit

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 29, 2019, 09:08:18 AM
Just a "wintery mix" here of damp snowflakes landing on ground not quite cold enough for settling, so it's a wet mess outside today...
Same here in the DC area.  Traffic was at a near standstill - my normal 12 minute drive home took over 30 minutes... (to go less than 4 miles...)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on January 29, 2019, 07:47:58 PM
La Porte, Indiana. Forecast: high -14 F, low -24 F.

Yep, it's the dead of winter, end of January.

I'm sitting up because the house is popping quite loudly waking me up (a remaining remnant of service to country). Cold weather tends to do that. Looks like -20s° below here as well tonight with a strong, howling wind. Good night to read a ghost story.

That cold air mass in Canada and northern Minnesota is starting to move south so most of the upper mid-west will be in the negative 20's tonight. A lot of places closed tomorrow due to the cold.