News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 553A

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 07, 2015, 11:41:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

I had bought a 553A with a 2AA dial from ebay last year, and it was in rough shape. It was repainted from a spray can, and whoever painted it didn't do a great job (drips and sags, rust underneath the paint poked through on the left side). I was thinking about powdercoating it, until I tried polishing the existing paint...

It turned out the paint looks really good after being polished; it shines! The painter painted over the nickel cover hinges and cover screw. I used a dab of EasyOff, and the paint practically fell off. A little Brasso, and they look great. I touched up the rust on the cover with a paint marker (I know, pretty cheap way of handling rust issues), and added a printout card from Telephone Archive.

The dial plate looks unused; no scratches, wear, rust, anything!

The receiver was also cracked, badly. It's now epoxied together, and sanded smooth. The crack is still visible, but at least it's strong and in one piece now!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

Looks Great! Nice job! I have been looking for one like that. I would prefer a different transmitter, not a bulldog.
What is that it id leaning against? Looks like a large gear of some sort.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks!

The gear was found at a farm-style junk yard sale, along with several others. We assume it was attached to some sort of farm machinery. My dad and I restored it, and it now sits on a custom-built wooden pedestal on our coffee table. This thing weighs about 40 or 50 pounds!!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Mr. Bones

Nicely done, beautiful job on the finish, Christian! 8)

I don't have a WE in this flavor yet, but someday... I do have a very similar AE set, though. Thanks for the motivational post!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus