News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ivory AE40

Started by Dave F, November 29, 2010, 03:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

While the majority of my collection is Western Electric, occasionally I happen upon a non-WE item that is just too cool to pass up.  This is one of them.

Ivory AE40 with Extensicord, Butler Handle, and Easy-Clean fingerwheel.  No cracks or repairs, although there are two problems: The end of the line cord has been cut off, and I'm missing one of the chrome handset rings (something to keep an eye out for).  I must admit that I really do enjoy having this AE set!

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave F

Thanks Harry, I just couldn't let this one go by.

Dennis Markham

AE_Collector

Did you just get it recently? Looks to be very nicely colored, not darkened like many of the AE "Classic Ivory" sets are.

Talk about all the bells and whistles! Cloth set cord, extensi-cord on the receiver, buttlers handle AND cut away fingerwheel! It has it all!

A little shrinkage happening there I guess. The transmitter band just fell off! The receiver band looks a little loose as well.

I'll send you a band and a cloth cord with spades on it in trade for a red 33 ringer!

Terry

Dave F

Terry,

Yes, it's a recent acquisition.  From the 3-digit number in the dial center, it looks like it may have been a hotel phone, or something like that.  Probably got minimal use and wear.  Slightly shrunken and a little bit warped from age, but overall in terrific condition. 

Actually, I would like to keep the red 33 ringer (assuming I actually receive it intact), as red is one of my premier colors to collect.  However, I'm certainly eager to buy that chrome ring and cord if you are able to do that.

Dave

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dave F on November 29, 2010, 08:54:20 PM
Slightly shrunken and a little bit warped from age, but overall in terrific condition. 

Actually, I would like to keep the red 33 ringer (assuming I actually receive it intact),
Dave

Just noticed in the overhead shot that you can see the outwards warp in one of the sides. They always seem to warp in that spot. The only ivory 40 that I have is like that as well.

Yes with your luck the phone will be even more of a hybrid when it arrives with the ringer "installed" into the phone for you courtesy of the post office.

The set cord looks awful nice. Just the spades chopped off more or less? Might be best to re-spade it. The handset cord is a black one, not a brown?

I'll check my small supply of AE rings to see if I have a transmitter cap ring. I usually keep them pretty close to me just in case but that Ivory 40 really needs a band, and soon!

Terry

Dave F

Quote from: ae_collector on November 29, 2010, 10:49:37 PM

1) Just noticed in the overhead shot that you can see the outwards warp in one of the sides. They always seem to warp in that spot. The only ivory 40 that I have is like that as well.

2) Yes with your luck the phone will be even more of a hybrid when it arrives with the ringer "installed" into the phone for you courtesy of the post office.

3) The set cord looks awful nice. Just the spades chopped off more or less? Might be best to re-spade it. The handset cord is a black one, not a brown?

4) I'll check my small supply of AE rings to see if I have a transmitter cap ring. I usually keep them pretty close to me just in case but that Ivory 40 really needs a band, and soon!

Terry

1) Yes, there's a slight outward warp on the sides, but not enough to risk trying to remove it.

2) I sent the seller of the red phone my standard plea for safe packing, and instructed him to wrap each piece separately with plenty of bubble wrap.  I'm waiting for his reply before I pay for it.  I know that's no guarantee, but at least I'll know he received my message.

3) Both cords on the ivory 40 are black.  The line cord was cut an inch or so from the end, so I don't see how new spades could easily be added.

4) Thanks.  If ever there was a phone that deserved a new chrome band, this would be it.  Maybe I'll get lucky!

Dave

Doug Rose

Dave,,,,what a beautiful phone. I am envious......Doug
Kidphone

Dave F

Thanks, Doug.

I just happened to run across it in my travels.  In the time since my original post, I did find a replacement chrome ring, but still don't have a pristine line cord.

DF

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dave F on January 09, 2015, 10:21:26 PM
I still don't have a pristine line cord.

DF

Is the line cord cloth-covered? What you could do is unravel the threads of the outer jacket at the end until you have a decent amount of the conductors exposed. Then you could cut the excess cloth off, and crimp new spades on.

I think there are quite a few that are sold on Ebay in lots of 60 or so if you don't have your own spades.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dave F

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 10, 2015, 09:25:21 AM
Is the line cord cloth-covered? What you could do is unravel the threads of the outer jacket at the end until you have a decent amount of the conductors exposed. Then you could cut the excess cloth off, and crimp new spades on.

I think there are quite a few that are sold on Ebay in lots of 60 or so if you don't have your own spades.
Yes, that certainly could be done.  However, the unraveled end of the outer jacket would not look the same as an unmodified new cord.

DF

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford