News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Antique Store Find: $10 Red WE 2500DMG

Started by Ed Morris, December 11, 2019, 11:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Morris

I don't usually buy Model 2500 phones, but when I saw a red one in an antique store for a hard to believe $10, I couldn't pass it up.  It had no line cord or handset cord, and I figured something else must be wrong to be so cheap.  Cosmetically, the phone was in very good condition.  I figured for $10, I could at least get parts from it.

When I got it home, I installed a line cord and handset cord and connected to the phone line.  No dial tone.  So I dragged out the BK 1045.  The keypad checked out as did the voice level.  I connected another phone and I could tell the transmitter was OK.

So I pulled the receiver out of the handset.  Didn't see anything wrong, and put it back.  Check again and I had a dial tone.  Still not sure what was wrong with receiver to begin with.  Anyway, everything works now, so I cleaned up the shell and handset with alcohol and Novus.
Ed

Ed Morris

Here are the hardware specs:

Network: 4228 dated 9-82
Ringer: Dated III-82, Looks like a C4A
Key Pad: 72H3A dated 82-9
Transmitter: TI dated 10-18-65
Receiver: U3 dated 8-20-67

Ed

Ed Morris

A few more images:

Ed

Ed Morris

So, does anyone know what the G in the model number represents?  I know the DM is supposed to indicate modular connections.  And anyone recognize the ringer type?  Thanks.
Ed

Key2871

All I can tell you is the first handset was an E, second F, third G, then the modular version is a G-15A. Then there are G 6, 7 and so on.

But that's a nice find, for 10 bucks.
KEN

Ed Morris

Thanks, Ken.  I'm guessing the handset may be a G, assuming the G in DMG refers to the handset.  The only markings I could find on the handset are 8H7.
Ed

Stormcrash

G means it's polarity guarded. Sets without the guard will not be able to dial if the line polarity is backwards, the guard will auto correct it so it doesn't matter if tip and ring get reversed.

M indicates it's modular

D indicates its the D revision of the 500/2500

Ed Morris

Thank you!  I will jot that down in my notebook.
Ed

Key2871

They also had various versions of the G handset, such as G1 G3, I think it was the material used making the handset, as well as how the cord was retained, I'm sure someone else would know better than I .
KEN

HarrySmith

Again, the "go to" reference for everything WE phones, Paul F's website:

http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stormcrash

andre_janew

If the ringer has 4 wires, it is a C4A.  If it has 2 wires, it is a C4C.

Ed Morris

Thanks, I will check the leads to the ringer.
Ed

guitar1580

Looks nice.  Some of those 5 and 10 dollar second hand store finds are the best ones.  Makes you feel good when you get one cheap and it cleans up extra nice.

I've taken to using a couple of 2500 phones around the house, with the ever increasing need for the touch tone for menus.

I've gotten a couple of those see thru neutral handset cords.  I like them.

Ed Morris

Thanks, I do enjoy this phone.

I have the same problem with menus.  I have used several rotary phones on my desk for the past couple years, but I would end up having to go find a touch phone because you can't call anyone these days, at least at a business, without going through an agonizingly long menu and spiel of some kind pushing two or three tone prompts.
Ed