and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - August 2018

Started by AE_Collector, July 28, 2018, 10:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - August 2018   *** Vote for One ***

Fabius' AT&T Private Pay Phone Plus, NIB with keys from an ATCA show for $75
4 (16%)
SunriseEarth's Chrome Stromberg Carlson 1243-WA from an Antique Store for $27.50
4 (16%)
Sargeguy's 1890s/1920s Western Electric cherry vanity telephone for $2280
10 (40%)
Desert Phone Guy's Western Electric Number 10 Desk Stand for $500 on eBay
4 (16%)
Duffy's Kellogg-ITT clear handset traded for a Scotchlok Crimping Tool
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) and other information of importance about the find.
6) one or two pictures of the item.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:
          --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:
          --> Photo Album <--

Terry

Fabius

I nominate my AT&T Private Pay Phone Plus, new in the plastic wrappers. With all keys a manual and sales brochure. Bought at the ATCA show in Shipshewana Indiana fo $75.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Pourme

Tom, Nice find! I'd like to encourage you to start a thread and tell us more about your new pay station.....Some of us don't know what is meant by "private payphone". Any phone history?

(Curious minds want to know)
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Fabius

I'll start a separate post this evening.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

SunriseEarth

I'd like to nominate my find, a Chrome Stromberg Carlson 1243-WA.

The original topic (with more pics) can be found here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20872.0

I found this phone at an antique store in Whittier, California.  The space was going out of business and selling everything for 50%.  This was originally priced $55.00, so I got it for $27.50!

The phone needed a little work.   If a number was dialed on the dial, it did not return on its own (Steve was able to fix this!).  Some holes on the transmitter cap are broken, as was the clip on the old modular plug (replacement cap on its way and I replaced the plug).   I had to adjust the ringer a bit to get it to sound right.   But overall, it's a beautiful phone and a great add to my little collection!

Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

Sargeguy

I guess I should probably nominate my 1890s/1920s Western electric cherry vanity telephone.  Gavel price was $1900 plus  20% buyers premium.   The phone has a American Bell Telephone Company marked long pole receiver with marked cap.  The gooseneck transmitter arm typically sells for close to $1000, and a nicely marked long Pohle will be close to $2000.  I am quite happy with it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Desert Phone Guy

I would like to nominate my Western Electric Number 10 Desk Stand.

I picked up this phone on Ebay for a buy it now of $500 from a relatively new ebayer.  I felt as if I was gambling a bit, as this was a new seller as of January 2018, and already had a couple of negative feedbacks.

At any rate, the shipping was prompt, and the phone was packed extremely well.  Looks as though it never saw any water, and sat in a closet for several decades.

The transmitter is a very nice 7-digit variety, and the transmitter back cup is an early one with two rows of patent information on the back, 3 hole mount to a solid swivel, and the cup is an early machined one on the inside rim where the transmitter fits. 

The bottom terminal strip was present, as well as the wood base.

I'll put in my Kellogg-Itt clear handset for this months contest.

I traded a Scotchlok e9c crimper tool for it.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20992.0

AE_Collector

Okay, end of the month! A couple hours early again I know....sorry if this messes anyone up.

Just five contestants this month and I decided to go with just a single vote this time. So, we need lots of voters! Some interesting items this month so consider the item, condition and price and place your vote.

Terry

AE_Collector

Sorry, I am a little late wrapping this up.

It looks as though there are quite a few of us that would find room for Sargeguy's 1890s/1920s Western Electric cherry vanity telephone if we could snag it for $2280! That's great, it is good to see that a real early collectible phone is still a desirable collectible phone item. Greg just won the June contest and came very close in April as well.

Congratulations Greg! Lots of interesting finds in August, thanks for running in the contest and thanks to everyone who voted!

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:  --> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:  --> Photo Album <--

Terry

Sargeguy

Thanks!  I thought Desert Phone Guy's Western Electric Number 10 was a sweet find! Goes to show they are still out there!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409