News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Goodwill wall phone ID

Started by Greg G., November 23, 2012, 08:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I tried bidding on this but didn't get it.  The description says the only marking is the word "Howard" on the back.  Wondering who is the manufacturer.  Also wondering what that hole is to the left of the transmitter.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11886848
( dead link 06-19-21 )
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

I know next to nothing about wooden phones. My guess would be a top box for a two or three box phone that someone attached a transmitter to so they can call it a complete phone. So in reality it is probably a super rare phone that I would have passed up!

Hole in wood to left of transitter is likely the screw that holds the box closed and the 2 smaller holes are nail holes that once secured a trim plate.

Terry

kleenax

Quote from: Brinybay on November 23, 2012, 08:31:38 PM
I tried bidding on this but didn't get it.  The description says the only marking is the word "Howard" on the back.  Wondering who is the manufacturer.  Also wondering what that hole is to the left of the transmitter.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=11886848
Yep; Terry is correct.

It started out life as a top box for a 2-box Western Electric wallphone. Although there were "compact" wallphones made in this manner, this is simply a made-up phone of parts from other Western Electric parts. Appears to be all Western Electric too, including the switch-hook, receiver and transmitter. If we could see the right side, it most probably is imprinted with the Western Electric patent dates.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Greg G.

I got the impression from the unclear wording that it was a metal phone, but I guess not, they just meant the crank was metal:  Vintage 12lb. metal crank telephone .

In that case, I'm glad I dodged a bullet on that one.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

To me the clues are:

Lightning arrestors or line connections on the very top (okay for some large single box phones and many of the two box phones but not a compact phone)

Terminals along the bottom edge for connections with "the rst of the phone" that has now gone missing

A receiver mounted so low that it hangs below the phone rather than beside it. Okay when there was another 2 feet of phone below but on a compact hone that is an invitation for the receiver to constantly be bumped and knocked onto the floor.

Terry