"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WANTED - Missing Dial from Black American Electric Space Saver - NB 830 C

Started by jjflory, December 18, 2016, 11:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjflory

Looking for the Dial portion of Black, American Electric Space Saver - NB 830 C

Attached is a picture of one with the Dial in place.

Again just needing the Dial portion.

Thanks, Jeff

AE_Collector

Do you currently have the Non Dial version that has everything except for the dial housing with the dial mounted in it and has or is supposed to have a number card mounted on the top to cover the hole that the dial housing ball would sit in? I have never converted one, there is a long screw tgatbuscwhat goes up into the base of the ball joint from inside the 183 as well as a little circle of wire mesh with a home in the middle for the dial wires yo it's through. The mesh gets clamped between ball and socket when the screw is tightened in order to prevent the dial from easily being moved once set in position.

The dial housing is the most easily damaged piece so nay not be overly easy to find.

Terry

jjflory

Well now that you gave a great explanation...it might be the later. Please look a picture of mine, on the top. Sort a looks like it might be missing the number card.

Thanks

Jeff

jjflory

Well if I would have looked at the sticker on the back, I would have known that this didn't have a Dial from the Factory, built in 1964.

So with that said...is the 2nd pic what the Dial Card looks like? 

Thanks, Jeff

unbeldi

Quote from: jjflory on December 18, 2016, 03:43:51 PM
Well if I would have looked at the sticker on the back, I would have known that this didn't have a Dial from the Factory, built in 1964.

Thanks, Jeff

NB 830 C A   means that it did have a dial from the factory.  C stands for the number plate with numbers and letters.  A stands for color black.
The sticker was added somewhere in refurbishing.

The non-dial version didn't have a dial blank, but a cap on top of the housing instead of the dial mount.

stub

Jeff,
        Here's all you need to finish this non-dial version of the Automatic Electric 183-    Then you can get the dial version in black , and then you can get all the colors of the 183's and on and on ----- ;D     There are some nice early 183's on e-bay .     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: jjflory on December 18, 2016, 03:43:51 PM

Thanks, Jeff

Built August 1964 but Not August 2, 1964. The number card you posted will work but technically it is from a much earlier time frame than the 1960's. The card retainer you posted the picture of may not work since it is used on a Bakelite dial blank. I think they were slightly different in how they mounted.

Terry

stub

Jeff,
       The second pic is of the AE 23 type and is cut slightly different . Here are the other dial number cards.  stub

left click on pics to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

jjflory

thanks everyone for all the information. I will continue to look for the Dial in Black.

Great to have a knowledge base...Thanks again.

Jeff

markosjal

stub,

Is that last image from the old AE "Phone book" like I used to have?

Does that book specify current requirement for 880 speaker phone?
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

stub

markosjal,

Can't remember where I got that pic from. The 880 Speaker phone is line powered -  hook the TIP side to the Green, Yellow, and Blue wires from the line cord and the RING side should be connected to the Red wire and the Brown/green wire. This is how mine is wired to my POTS line.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

markosjal

Stub

that page came from a large telephone directory layout book that was from GTE . It was full of GTE , WE , aand SC diagrams, just like the one I used to have. I recognize that very page!

WIsh I still had that book it was a goldmine of information. I had bought it at a yard sale for a buck or so. The ex wife probably started more fires with it
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish