News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old parts used in new phones

Started by poplar1, May 20, 2013, 08:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

I hope Mo doesn't mind my borrowing one of her pictures. It shows that Western Electric did use some old parts in newly manufactured phones. Although it was their practice to do so in the telephone company owned phones that were sent back to WE for refurbishing, the consensus has been that no old parts were reused on new phones sold through Graybar.

The 2500 set Mo currently has listed was manufactured in 1983. All parts appear to be from that year, except the ringer frame, which has the original 1968 date as well as a 1983 date. The ringer coil is not from 1968.

Mo, could I bother you to look on the front and back of the transmitter for dates? Besides the 1983 date, it may also have an older date stamped in the metal or in the gray plastic grill on the front.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MagicMo

no date on transmitter- just 3L or 31?
The ringer has C4B stamped on it. Does that help?
Practice Kindness :)

WesternElectricBen

Thats a artistic ebay auction. Pretty funny though...
Ben

MagicMo

Here is  a good pic.

Thanks Ben! LOL

poplar1

Since the receiver is dated 1975, this handset may not be the one that was originally on the phone. Does the handle say AT&T, Western Electric, or "Bell System Property, Not For Sale"?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MagicMo

Quote from: poplar1 on May 20, 2013, 11:21:28 PM
Since the receiver is dated 1975, this handset may not be the one that was originally on the phone. Does the handle say AT&T, Western Electric, or "Bell System Property, Not For Sale"?
Just AT&T

oldphon

I have a theory that AT&T, post divestiture, may have used some old dies for ringer frames and T1 transmitter bodies.  I have some that appear to be new in the 80's, with 80's dates stamped in ink, and old dates physically stamped in the metal.  Just a theory....