News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HELLO CENTRAL

It is a lamp whose base is made from the large hub of a wagon wheel.  Mine is much more original than this example.   Forty years ago I fell in love with it the minute I saw it in an antique store. 
http://www.awagonwheel.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=96772

Walt
HELLO CENTRAL.

jiggerman

Quote from: savageje on March 14, 2010, 10:17:05 PM
I've contacted someone named Paul Pontrello, who referred me to a Dan Blake.  Both of these guys are supposed to be some of the best at vintage plastic repair.  Their work looks pretty impressive.  It looks like the majority of their work has been done on radios.  The first said he was unable to help and referred me to the second (Blake).  Blake is an artist who is closing down his studio to travel the country for three years.  He suggested some ways to test to specifically identify the type of plastic it is made of, and said to contact him in three years (!!!) if I was still interested in the repair.  So I guess I'm back to square one. 

Someone named Bret Menassa put out a DYI vintage plastics repair DVD for radios a few years back, so I may get a copy of that and see if it helps at all.  It looks like most of the techniques used involve airbrushing or painting to achieve a close match between the patched area and the original part of the plastic. 

Jim

Hi Jim,

I purchased the video a couple of years ago from Bret's  Old Radios on Plastic Bakelite Repair and Refinishing.  This DVD is very informative and it also applies to phones. You`ll learn great ways to clean and polish all kinds of plastic, Bakelite, Catalin, Plaskon and modern plastic. He also shows how to repair cracks, chips and missing pieces. I also collect old radio so I purchased the 4 volume set. He presently selling a few DVD`s on ebay this week. Here is the URL if you are interested. http://tinyurl.com/yh626h2

The video is 2 hours long. You won't be disappointed.  Jiggerman

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

gpo706

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dan/Panther

This would make a great auction contest. He's not stopping the auction, and posted he was offered $2000.00 for it BIN.
D/P

My guess $3,000.00

LarryInMichigan

Does the price include the light bulb?  :D

Phonesrfun

Just when I thought I'd seen everything.  A new way to make a lamp out of a phone.  What were they thinking?

I guess they weren't.

Did I just answer myself?

I guess I did.
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

You guys don't get it: this is a very early production mushroom phone.

;) ;) ;)
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Yes.  Made by someone who had eaten too many mushrooms.
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Larry;

Are you kidding, with CFL's, and LED's, incandescents are getting rare.

D/P

gpo706

I'm gonna make a nice lamp out of a Strowger exchange, yours for 50 big ones.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

The manufacturer is partly to blame. They stamped the phone with patent dates from 1994 through 1997. What is a creative mind to do with a practically brand new phone after smoking a few mushrooms?

;)
Jorge

Greg G.

The lamp damage must be reversable enough and the phone valuable enough for someone to bid 1k on it, so I guess it's not a total loss.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

I sold a non lamp style for $1250 in 1994.
They are called a McKinley. This is the short style, there was a long style as well.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.